Thursday 8 July 2021

Loki At The Vets


Loki was back at the vets today. We requested to see Ken again and this time we got to see him. He suggested we see how Loki copes with increased exercise, up to 20 mins three times a day. He felt there were some positive signs especially with his front mobility. He said it may take a long time for the nerves to heal and there may be clots along the spinal column, which explains the lack of pain. A Mri would confirm this condition, but the treatment would be the same, therefore we both agree that whilst answers would be good the least stress for all the better. For the life of me I can't remember what Ken called the condition, but he said it has sudden onset and is relatively pain free and probably caused by the spondylosis. As I mentioned, he said that the nerves will take a long time to heal but he can not make any prognosis on recovery as a lot depends on Loki himself.
I have to say I was very impressed with Ken today, his knowledge and years of experience really did show. He was excellent with Loki, very thorough. I can't forget or forgive the failures of other members of the practice earlier this year but maybe I was quick to blame the practice for the inadequacies of a minority. 
They want to see Loki again in a month, lets hope he's improved by then.
Edit - 
I've been googling and I think it was this - Fibrocartilagenous Embolism: Infarction of the spinal cord can be caused by occlusion of spinal cord arteries or veins (or both) with fragments of fibrocartilage, believed to arise from the intervertebral discs. It is seen primarily in adult dogs, especially large and giant breeds. ... Spinal pain is typically absent.
Well that makes sense!