Saturday 3 July 2021

Asha

Today would have been Asha's 13th birthday. Asha, Tali and Kai's daughter, Mikey's big sister, Ziva and Jezi's mother. Puppy Gee from the "G" litter - but her name came from GG - Greedy Guts. Still wet from birth she was hanging off the nipple, I don't think big Al who arrived before her had even realised he'd actually been born. She was greedy from the moment she arrived in the world, a reputation she proudly carried with her throughout her life. 
Asha had the perfect temperament, I can't imagine it will ever be equalled here. She was obedient, calm and self-assured. She was kind and gentle with youngsters but had a presence that commanded respect from the pack. 
Her show career started well, but later her pale colour and fading saddle would not be her fortune. I often felt disheartened and felt she was cheated of greater achievements by judges who were simply colour-blind. But as she re entered the ring in veteran classes her physical condition and movement could not be ignored - hide your dinner Asha was back in the building. 
Asha did not have the strongest of bonds with her daughters, but Loki was her world. She adored him from the day he arrived, she gave him love and without doubt influenced his character for the good. I often wonder what she would think of him now? Maybe it would distress her, or maybe she'd still be there by his side. 
The loss of Asha at Blanik though not unexpected was a huge blow .. I had hope she could have been here to influence Siska just a little on her road to adulthood .. but it was not to be. 
I don't feel I really had the chance to grieve for Asha. The evening of her death I had the e.mail that every breeder dreads ... Zeus needed me and I had to step up for him. My dad was also ill and my brain became overloaded with concern for the living, putting my grief to one side really was unwise and later it would catch up with me. Sometimes I fall apart, sometime I cry ... sometime I smile and I just wonder what she'd do now? 
People often say they see her in Jezi, I don't, there is really only the colour that is alike. No one here is like Asha, and she was like no one before her. Tonight, as Kevin said earlier, tonight we raise a glass to Blanik Georgette - tonight please raise a glass to Asha.