Tuesday 12 January 2021

A Little Means A Lot

Now I know I'm tired and emotional, equally therefore I may be being over sensitive. To be fair though it was Steve who drew my attention to the fact that not one member from his side of the family had made a single comment of congratulations on the birth of the litter. I then looked through the comments and realised that actually not one single member from my side of the family had either. They may not be dog people, but they must realise how much this means to us? We are not big breeders, this is a huge and happy event in our lives, so yeah it hurts.
Now to be fair my father had rung on Saturday morning, both my parents were delighted at the news. When I was speaking to my mum last night she said they had seen the photos on Facebook, so I took the opportunity to say my piece. She agreed with me but said maybe people hadn't thought, hmm, you look but say nothing? That is not the point of social media, is it? Hell listen, I don't expect a comment on every photo, but the odd word to show interest and support means a lot! I gather Steve has also mentioned it to someone on his side of the family and the tittle-tattle began, ahhh I can't be arsed with that, it's childish!
I hardly had any sleep last night. Between the light and the noise I think I was lucky to get three hours, and I was in Tesco by 7.30am. Kaiah decided it was bath time and the kids were none too pleased! I've now ordered some eye masks, I have to try something, I'll never survive a month like this. With the Spring weather and the temp in the room we didn't need the heat lamp with the last litter, but it really is needed this time. With their low body temp cold puppies don't flourish. 
I usually weigh the puppies once a week, but having ordered new scales I had to give them a go. To be honest they are a bit shit, but they'll have to do. I weighed the pups on both sets of scales initially to make sure they were accurate, they are! Anyway I'm really pleased with the weight gain, as expected they are gaining quicker than Sammi's nine, at the halfway point they are on a par with the weight gain that the K litter achieved in a week. All have put on between 8 and 10oz - yep I'm very happy with that!
I've started to observe the facial characteristics for LSH, after Biscuit/Bruce managed to hide till about 3 weeks last time I'm going to be more on the ball this time. Looking at this photo on the12/4 he was so obviously a LSH. I guess there were so many there, and we were just concentrating on Winnie! Two in this  litter need keeping a close eye on over the next week or so ... As you know my preference is for a S/C female, but I'm always open-minded and will keep the best bitch for the progress of Blanik.