Thursday 28 May 2020

Updates

This morning Asha's breakfast consisted of a stolen mouthful of puppy food, a dead mouse, some shit and then some Dr. John's Titanium with yogurt to wash it all down. She really doesn't help herself does she! I did try and get the mouse off her but she swallowed it whole, as you do!
I'm trying to get use to the new blogger dashboard. Why do they have to change things eh? It's not dramatically different, just enough to confused when planing out the layout of the post. I guess I have to think about what I'm doing a little again now. 
Last night I chatted with Sarah, after about 20 mins of online chat we actually decided to talk on the phone .... and it took over an hour to catch up. I rarely use the phone these days choosing messanger, or a phone messanger instead, but I have to admit it was great to talk. 
Sarah was telling me all about little Isla (Chilli) and how well she was doing. Mara the 10 year old bitch has really taken her under her wing, though Sully is desperate to play with her he's just too big and clumsy. (Sounds like Ross) She is gaining weight and really bonding with Ellie, which is lovely. I did laugh as Sarah said that in the warm weather Ellie had decided not to wear anything at home except her wellies. She's now covered in scratches and bites, but happy! 
I'm not sure if I wrote about it at the time but it's down to Sarah that Sammi had this litter. She planted the seed last Summer and it grew in my mind! We were discussing Kaiah's intended mating and discussing pups when Sarah and Iyvlene (her mum) said how they would really love a Sammi pup and as I would be keeping pick of bitches out of Kaiah they would be really really interested in a pick of bitches from Sammi.
They said no disrespect to Kaiah but they preferred Sammi. As far as conformation goes I don't agree, I think Kaiah has the edge, but of course everyone interprets the breed standard differently. It was still a complement that they wanted a Sammi daughter, and of course at the end of the day Sammi is Kaiah's mother. So yes a huge thank you to Sarah and Ivylene for giving me the idea of having a second litter out of Sammi in the first place. I love the photo of Sarah handling Sammi last Summer. Apart from a break when she had Ellie she has handled all my dogs at Champ shows since Louis' days, I can only hope that we get some kind of normality again and that she can handle Orin before he's a veteran! 
I weighed Orin last night, not an official weigh in just a check after seeing Loki/Basil was 8.5 Kg - yep Orin is too! I will reweigh him on Friday for my future reerance and after 12 weeks I'll do it monthly till he' 6 months, as I have done with the other pups. Interestingly earlier I found a chart online with guides to what a GSD puppy should weigh at certain ages, so yeah we are comfortable withing the criteria. It said that by three months males should be 10 - 14 kg - I think I can safely say we'll get there ... and bitches should be 8 - 12kg. (Of course a kg or so either side is no concern)  Orin has doubled since the 11th of May, I think he and his male siblings will easily be over 10kg by the 19th of June. Please keep me updated on their weight everyone.
At 3 months Ross was 12.6kg and 43cms at the wither, Loki was 13.8kg and Kaiah was 12.7kg. Kaiah dramatically slowed down somewhere after that .. but as we know my beautiful feminine bitch was a big fat puppy! LOL
Orin's new big chap crate came yesterday. He'd soon outgrow the other and there is no point getting anything in between, so I just got him and adult size one straight up. The boys have 42 x 28 inch crates, the girls have the next size down. I've put a big vet bed down to cover it all and a thick cushion on one side, I must admit I was amused seeing him stretch out in it earlier. No doubt before we've thought about it he'll be filling it.