Tuesday 3 December 2019

Third Day Of Winter

I've just had an unnerving message from a friend who lives in the village - ", just to warn you we had our main gate forced open the wrong way last night. Somebody pretty stupid not to realise it opens the other way, it left deep drags marks the way they opened it. No signs of anything else amiss. John spoke to our neighbour whose track is almost opposite Tish’s and their gate was left open last night and they have evidence a vehicle was driven up that wasn’t theirs. Be aware."  Makes you feel uncomfortable doesn't it, especially when we usually feel that safe that we don't lock anything. Time to be vigilant I guess. 
Today was another stunning day to walk - though colder the sun was out and the sky was amazing with cloud pouring over The Ridge. Nico and Jezi were full of fun, a breeze always seems to get everyone going that bit faster, gives everyone a buzz. I called out "Sammi" no response "Sammi Belle .. where are you?" She came running full pelt from one of the derelict buildings. I started to think .. She's the only one who still carries her baby name as part of her name. Part of that magical Xmas litter of 2013 - Nick, Noel, Holly, Ivy, Jingle and Belle, Belle has stuck with her and when she's really in trouble she's "Sammi Belle Stanley."  Asha was Gee which developed from G.G (Greedy Guts) and she still lives up to it .. Ziva was Minx, Jezi was Maggie, and Kaiah? Well she was always Kaiah .. like Mikey was always Mikey and Tali was always Tali too ... Louis was Jerry and Krizzie was Snap (The girls of the "D" litter were Snap, Crackle and Pop) Mostly the names are only baby names, some use coloured colours to tell the puppies apart, Loki was Mr Orange as he had an orange collar, but when I can I just like to learn who they are from day one and give them a name. Nico came here with the name Danko, a well used name in GSD's but my mind had been made up that my next male would be called Nico. Besides "Danko" did not have a great life, a new name a new happy life. By the way I've seen the Belgian Bastard is judging in the UK next year, no I'm not going unless it's to smack him in the gob!
My comment yesterday about the Young Guns being the best behaved is true - as a group go they are great fun and very obedient. But of course their are individuals in other groups who never let the side down either. Nico is A1, always has been. I think the short time he spent with Louis help set him firmly on the right track, but of course it's probably mostly him. Such a good lad. Jezi has always been more headstrong and occasionally defiant, she still has her "Tali moments" but generally she's very good. My issue with the girls is that they don't stop eating, poo, mud, grass, bones, bodies .. just anything and it drives me insane. Asha and Ziva are really awful and I seem to be calling for them to stop it and catch up, or leave it continually. Spit it out can work with Ziva, Asha just swallows it! I know I'm bias but Sammi is generally very very good. She was such a headstrong pup and many would have subjected her to a life on a lead, which of course would have been unkind and unnecessary. She has grown into a super well behaved adult .. though if she's air scenting be aware, you may not see or hear anything, but it is there .. always! Asha has become more awkward in old age, she was always almost faultless .. now she does have a habit of ignoring me if she's busy eating rubbish. I can't imagine she is loosing her hearing, but maybe there are changes? Still I know the little cow hears me most of the times because she just chews faster or swallows it! Maybe females do grow into their mothers later in life eh! But no I'm not joining the WI or taking up religion - I believe in compassion and kindness and the way I see it that never goes hand in hand with religion ...