Tuesday 3 December 2019

Camera - Action



I love getting action shots of the dogs, but bloody hell they can be hard if your not using a phone and taking continuous shots. I much prefer my camera, the quality of the photos don't compare, and I guess it is more rewarding when you get that one shot to treasure. It does amuse me on Facebook though when people are amazed by the posing picture. "How do you do it? How do you get them to pose like that?" Well really it's quite simple, you teach a position and you teach "Wait!" Not Stay, never Stay! I'm from a school where Wait and Stay are very different commands .. Stay means stay there and never move .. not ever .. Wait is much more flexible, with Wait they learn to expect another command. I must admit though I'm no longer a training instructor I really do hate hearing the one command being used for both exercise. Come on guys help your dogs know what you want from them. 
Back to the photos, the posing ones are mostly simple, though of course sometimes someone closes their mouth, shakes their head or simply buggers off. The action shots are much harder, though I often do cheat. I leave them in a row walk away using my precious "Wait" command, sit on the floor and either call them to me or throw the toy. If I'm lucky I'll get a decent shot, if not I'll try again, though of course natural shots like this one are always the best. (They are watching Ross)