Wednesday 18 December 2019

'Miss Otis Regrets'



Most people know I love music, most people know I prefer male to female vocalists, but there is always an exception. One of my favourite songs by my favourite female artist. I guess most people know her from her duet with the Pouges but I first came across her in the eighties when she sang Billy Bragg's A New England. Something about it really appealed to who I was then in my teenage years.
Kirsty sadly lost her life in a boating accident on the 18th Of Dec 2000. Kirsty and her family had been enjoying a holiday on Conzumal Island in Mexico when she took part in a scuba diving trip off the coast with a qualified instructor. While the area was deemed safe to dive in and boats were banned from entering the waters, the singer was surfacing from the deep with her sons when she noticed a 10 metre powerboat heading towards them. Shoving one son out of the way while grabbing another to protect him, Kirsty was struck by the boat’s propellor and tragically died instantly on the impact. The boat, travelling at high speed in an area restricted for divers, belonged to one of Mexico's wealthiest businessmen but no-one has been prosecuted over the incident though her mother campaigned for nine years for justice for Kirsty. Brave lady, Such sadness such a wasted talent.
I've always thought if I get to the Blanik M litter that we should have a Blanik Miss Otis .. mind you we don't seem to be getting anywhere with "K" currently do we!