Monday 15 July 2019

Can't Get Over

I had decided today to swallow some pills and get the dogs out early, and I was only too glad that I did as it got pretty hot by lunch time. Anyway it was a trip to Cwm Dulyn for everyone, but again the plans had to be changed very early. Jezi and I got over the steep style at the far side of the lake with no difficulties but Nico slipped back on his first attempt and then decided he was not going to try again. He tried the wall but it has been rebuilt and he failed again. I said to Jezi that we should go and he'd catch up, usually when I walk away they get a second wind and get over. When he didn't join us I went to look for him, oh bless him he'd given up and gone back to the van. I did feel a lump in my throat, it's the first time he has failed and I must realise he's getting older.  I wondered how he felt because we had left him?  Humanising? Probably but I did feel guilty and with a dog who has a history like Nico I only every want him to feel love and trust.
Because Nico had failed on the style I decided not to let Asha try .. the wall is higher now and with her determined nature I was afraid she may get hurt. So all the walks were done on the near side of the lake. Asha found a tennis ball which I made her leave at the gate on the way back .. well could be someone's treasured toy. She also amused me by going off the path and walking through the stream instead! What a girl.
I do often go further with the young guns but today I had hoped for company. Sometimes I crave his company and a chat, someone to share the views and sounds with, but equally sometimes I also really want to be alone. Today I would have loved to mooch about the lake and share my time with my nearest and dearest but sadly it was not to be. I felt a little deflated but the kids  and their antics soon lifted my spirits. It was all going so well till of course we were met with another style. Ross and Kaiah have crossed it before but Loki hadn't. He failed his intelligence test and just couldn't figure out how to get over. What is it with those two boys today eh? I'm sure Ross was laughing inside ... Kaiah definitely was.
It was stunning at the top end of the lake .. not a soul in sight and the sheep far enough away to not be of any concern. Tomorrow we'll find another route .. let's hope it's as peaceful and rewarding as today ...