Sunday 14 July 2019

All For The Bog Plant

Please indulge me Just a little time to moan ... This last week I can't get past the tiredness, I haven't had a week like it in ages, I just can't get my head and body to function in unison. I have a headache, but it's not a normal headache, I know now full well what it is and why I feel like I'm away with the fairies half the time. On the advice pages they call it "Hitting the brick wall." It happens less often these days but only time and rest will get me through it. The whole week I have struggled to function normally but Wednesday was bad, really bad. I had a message from a friend on Thursday morning asking if I was OK? She had noticed on Wednesday that I looked ill. "What?" I said, I was smothered in make up .. yes she said but your eyes are always a give away. Strange that as someone else also made the comment on the night, but then they were close enough to notice!
Yesterday I set off for my walks and had decided on a plan. Well it started to go wrong when for some reason Asha decided to jump in the back of the van putting screeching Ziva right behind my ear. With hindsight I should have swapped them over! Asha is so amazing, at ll years old she can still jump into a van from a standstill, but I guess her streamline figure and current level of fitness are all she needs to continue on the same path. I did my first walk but realised quickly that with all the pulling up hill I could not do that walk again and the girls had to go down and stay more on the flat. My legs were like jelly, like I was going in for flu ... all part and parcel of my head against that wall ..
I considered that if I did become ill no one would know where I was .. and after all I'd only gone back there to look for the circle of yellow bog flowers again. I was so intrigued to see just one circle of this flower among the heather and rough grass .. why one circle? Steve suggested it's to do with the calcium in the earth in this one spot.
"The Latin name of Bog Asphodel, ossifragum, literally translates as 'bone-breaker'. This unassuming plant acquired this violent name because it was believed that the livestock that grazed on it got brittle bones. However, it was actually the calcium-poor pastures that caused the problem."
By the third walk I was ready to sleep in a ditch .. but it's not a walk I can miss and their enthusiasm and zest for life always gives me a second wind. I enjoy the three young hooligans so much. I started on the flat but ended up going places they now tell me I shouldn't be! I've walked there for 24 years and suddenly now they stick a fence there to stop people going that way  .. I think not!
This morning again my head my head is floating away somewhere away from me .. It's taken me ages to write this, misspelling, incorrect words and pure lack of concentration. Thank god for spell check .. I'm off to Llyn Cop I think, a flat walk with no effort required ... I refuse to sit here and feel sorry for myself ... I can do that this afternoon!