Thursday 20 December 2018

Names Again

Last week I had a moan on Facebook about names. When I used the name "Loki" it was pretty damned rare, to be honest I knew of no others, now everyone seems to have a dog/puppy or cat called Loki. Our Loki was 4 in September, and when I christened him I even had to correct people's pronunciation of the name with so many saying "Lockey" instead of Loki. I guess with Tom Hiddleston playing the part so well these days the name was bound to gain popularity, I wish I'd had the foresight to see that! The character now seen in the films is not typical of the god I read about in Norse mythology; Loki was a trickster, mischievous yes, but never evil, he was only portrayed as evil by Christianity.
Anyway, yeah I wish I hadn't used the name as now it's far too popular .. but of course there is no going back .. Our Loki is our Loki ...
I'm not really one for divulging names that I have on my list for future use, I tend to keep them close to my chest and change my mind dozens of times. But when someone specifically asks me I can't lie either. Well I sure made a mistake recently by telling someone the name on the top of my list .. the hopeful name for the next Blanik bitch. What does she do? Goes and uses it, changing it ever so slightly adding a Y instead of the I. I was so pissed off, but mainly with myself for opening my big gob .. gutted, that name has now gone way down the list!
Ziva
Another name that's become popular is Ziva, but I can't say I hear it a lot around here. I only know of one other, Barb's beautiful brindle Bull Mastiff. Strangely I never hear Sammi or Ross in GSD circles, which are the most common names I thought I had here. There seems to be quite a few Nico's around, though as I've said our Nico is Welsh meaning for Gold finch. (Nick-o not neeco) I knew a Caia a long time ago - but not Kaiah, and no Jezi's though lots of Jessie's. The names have very different meaning though, Jessie is more commonly used as a feminine form of Jesse, which is derived from the Hebrew yīshai (gift). Jezi's meaning is well documented here, forest witch and friend of the devil. All I can say it be careful what you name your dog, sometimes they can live up to their names. Asha'a is not a common name .. but I have come across a couple in the last 10+ years.
So now the list for future "Blaniks" is under lock and key. It'll probably a year or so before I need to use one of the names, so plenty of time to enhance the list and to change my mind countless times no doubt.