Thursday 6 June 2019

A Scare With Loki

We had a strange experience with Loki again last night. As soon as he'd finished his food he vomited it all up, I put him outside to clean up and when I went to get him I was concerned that he looked slightly bloated. I always panic about torsion and went back out with him to watch his behaviour and demeanour. He was eating grass frantically which is indicative of a stomach upset and his belly felt hard though he did not show pain when I examined him. I offered him a biscuit, he ate it so I knew this was not a torsion were the stomach dilates and then rotates, or twists, but i do wonder if he had bloat, well he was definitely bloated. This is the second time this has happened but the first time I was out walking him in the snow. It also happened to Krizzie twice, I remember telling the vet about it and she said I think you have been extremely lucky.
I have seen torsion 3 times, I pray I never see it again. Blade survived it twice .. Storm survived the operation but later had to be given sleep due to complications following the operation. A friends Akita had a torsion 2 days ago and I'm praying he's now on the road to recovery. Torsion is scary and a total emergency, dogs die within hours and even those who survive the operation sometimes die of shock. I intend on getting advice today about how to deal with this should it happen again, or advice on possible preventative measures, not necessarily advice from a vet but from people with further experience within my breed or other large breed dogs. If I find anything out that may help I will write about it.