Sunday 9 July 2023

Luna Pups

 Yesterday afternoon I had a call from Luna's owner who said she was concerned about the colour of the bedding that Luna had been lying on. She said it had a hint of green. I suggested she take her to the vets, which she did. The vet told her everything was OK and that she would soon be in labour. I've always been of the understanding that green or brown discharge before the first puppy is born means that something is going seriously wrong. 
We messaged several times over the evening as Luna continued to have a bloody/brown coloured discharge, I told Anne-Marie that I was concerned so she rang the vet again who told her a puppy should be born within 2 hrs. Two hours later, there was still no sign and again I told Anne-Marie that I felt something was wrong and that she may need a caesarian. An hour later and the vet clinic was already busy so they were sent somewhere else. Thankfully, this time they were greeted by a knowledgable vet who instantly knew something was seriously wrong. The scan and the surgery showed that Luna had a uterine torsion, 2 of the puppies were "well dead" and two, twins sharing the same placenta were already too weak to make it. The vet told Anne Marie that along with the torsion there were displaced placentas - hence the green fluid in the afternoon. With the seriousness of her condition the vets was amazed that Luna had walked into the surgery and told her that had they left it another hour she would probably have lost mother and pups. 
A very emotional call this morning, and I appreciated being thanked for what I was concerned had been nagging last night, it all could have been so much worse! And that first vet - well negligent comes to mind!