Tuesday 11 July 2023

Decisions Decisions

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've now set my heart on an Orin daughter. Zeeta is almost 6 weeks, but Anne doesn't know if she's pregnant. I would hope that if my bitch was 6 weeks pregnant that I would know, on saying that Seffe hid her pregnancy till 6 weeks and she had 5. When Sammi carried 3 she didn't have any abdominal enlargement till 6 -7 weeks, but she'd had other signs of pregnancy from 3 weeks. Zeeta isn't eating that well, at this stage of pregnancy she should be ravenous, but she is sleeping a lot. Zeeta is the only bitch that Orin has mated that hasn't been progesterone tested, so even though she thought she was ready she may not have been! Some bitches are simply happy to mate for a long period during their season. The sperm can live 5 days and more, but with different bitches being ready anytime from about day 7 to 20+ days, without testing it's simply a lotto.
Zoe's pups are now 8 days old and Emma is starting to think of advertising them. There are 4 bitches in this litter, they are keeping one and a friend is having another, so currently there are two bitch puppies available. Zoe and Zeeta are stunning girls with impressive pedigrees, but it had been agreed that I would have a puppy from Zeeta instead of a stud fee. But, what if she's not pregnant? What if she is only carrying a small litter? What if there is only one female, and of course Anne would want her? What do I do? 
Yesterday I discussed the possibility of Anne getting Zeeta scanned, that would at least answer some questions. She said she would and was contacting someone, but I've heard nothing today and don't like to nag! The advert for Zoe's litter will go live on Champdogs, probably by the weekend, which gives me 2 - 3 days. Though these females are very different, I honestly have no preference between them, both have a lot to offer. I don't want to message Emma and ask if I can buy a puppy then find out that Zeeta is pregnant and have to tell Emma that I no longer want a Zoe pup. I simply will not mess her about like that. Another factor is that I would have to pay for a Zoe pup, but the Zeeta pup was instead of a stud fee. Of course I would pay, but I would be getting third pick instead of first .. but my choice may well be different to their choices! My pups needs to have show potential, I'm not having a puppy for the sake of it, so conformation, colour, coat, attitude glamour all has to come in to it.
I guess I have a couple of days to play with ideas ... I do have another bitch booked to come to O, but her pedigree is not what I'm looking for, if I'm buying in it has to be right! 
HELP!