Thursday 24 February 2022

Things

I have almost finished writing a long article about Zeus to go into the GSD National Magazine. It was not really anything different to what had been written here over the last 10 - 11 months but the magazine needs articles if it is to carry on. Now with the tragic news from his previous home I have decided not to publish it, or even finish it. I've no idea how the family move on, my heart goes out to them. 
Zeus is happy, well and loved here, and I hope his owner knows that by returning him she did not fail him, indeed she put him first. Maybe now I understand a little more about how a dog can be two versions of himself, circumstances do dictate who they are. 
Orin and Siska have got diarrhoea today. They are not ill, maybe they picked something up at the show, odd for them both to be with it otherwise. At the show a friend who had a Fransisco litter just before Sammi had hers introduced me to a friend of hers who's also into GSD's but doesn't show. They were both chatting about Orin and saying how much they loved him. Then the lady said she "use to have" a Fransisco son who looked so much like Orin. I questioned, "use to?" She said "yeah, sadly he died young, he just dropped dead." OMG, what could say? My heart went out to her, it happened to one of Asha's sons many moons ago .. OMG I'm so very sorry. Loosing an old dog is bad enough, but at least they have hopefully had a full and happy life full of love and fun. Loosing young animals is unbearable. She asked if I'd like to see pics ... Oh wow, I never expected that, first take that could have been Orin, he is so like him, down to the same colour eyes and slightly loose jowl. They must be so father typical, I now know where those eyes have come from.  I've never seen a dog look so like one of my own before, honestly it gave me goosebumps. So often people say, oh my dog looks like yours, or they look similar, when mostly they don't, or I don't see it, they are just black and tan with sticky up ears. So sad though, poor boy, poor owner and breeder.
Last night I was sent this lovely photo of Enya with their new puppy Jackson. Jackson was one of the litter born in Welfare. Well he sure has landed on his paws. Enya was one of the 4 bitches who stayed here too long in 2011/12, she really was the darling of the litter though. 
Tomorrow I have to take Nico to the vets, he was licking at his bottom overnight and this morning again. I had a look and he seems to have an abscess or something similar on his bottom. I'm a little scared that it's the dreaded AF, but less scared of the condition than I used to be. I know it can be treated and with Nico's age long term side effects of the medication is not anything to worry about. Anyway as usual I'm putting the cart in front of the horse, let's get the diagnosis for whatever it is first.