Friday 4 February 2022

Pastern Problem

Over the last week or so I've had two conversations with GSD folk who like me have noticed a weakness in the LSH's front pasterns. Not all of them of course, but so many that it is becoming a noticeable problem. (The pastern is the area of the leg that is below the wrist (or carpus) on the front legs but above the foot. On the hind legs, the pastern is the area of leg below the heel (hock) but above the foot.)
To produce a LSH both parents must carry the gene, so on average when 2 standard coated dogs who carry the gene have a litter 25% of the litter will be LSH, 50% will be S/C but carry the LSH gene and 25% with be S/C but not carry the gene. Two LSH mated to each other can only produce LSH puppies. 
It is often said that a LSH in a litter by S/C parents is the most "shapely" puppy in the nest, and it's often also said they have the best pigment. So if the gene that produces LSH can produce excellence in construction, beyond just producing the coat then why not weaknesses? Am I making sense or overthinking it? Something is producing  weak pasters in LSH puppies when the rest of their S/C siblings have strong pasterns. I've looked at so many LSH dogs and their photos recently, some are shocking ... but it would be unfair of me to use them here, so I'll use my own and rest my case!
KC Standard - "Pasterns firm, supple, with a slight forward slope. An over long, weak pastern, which would affect a dog's working ability is to be heavily penalised. Length of foreleg slightly exceeds the depth of chest."