Monday 21 February 2022

St Helens Show

Siska and Callie
Well I'm not sure where to start, with 772 dogs in Sutton Leisure Centre I guess it was going to be chaos. We were lucky to get a parking space behind the bins, the van half in mud and half on the car park, but you know at least we were not miles away like some. 
The Society had posted on their Facebook page that the show had far exceeded their previous entries and asked that people be mindful of others when parking and setting up in the show. Well by the time we got there at 10am people were three deep around all six rings, and of course all the "Smaller" dog exhibitors had their trolleys and crates and grooming tables, so basically at that time there wasn't any room for even a chair. By mid-morning some working breeds exhibitors were moving on and we managed to grab a space and a couple of chairs, but an elderly lady look over at me and said are you sitting there .. Oh hell, "no you have it" ... she was so grateful and she sat with us. Considering there was room now for my chair from the van, Ian bought it in for me after having yet another cigarette, but sadly I didn't get to sit in it again ...  "Siska's chair, Siska sit there!" Well I know I could have thrown her off, but to be honest I felt she was safer there from trolley wheels and careless human feet. It was quite funny really she was so excited when she saw the chair .. she never considered it may be for me, she was in it instantly. 
I have to say that Siska and Orin were fantastic in such a crowded venue. They were not bothered at all by such an unfamiliar floor, the dogs, the people, the noise or the atmosphere. Neither growled, barked or backed off from anything, I was so proud of their behaviour outside the ring. 
I was handling Siska and she stood alone in junior, she put no effort at all into showing, but did nothing wrong either. To be honest, on that floor it was better that she didn't have any "go" in her. Ian was taking Orin in and I ran out to get Kasey. I came back in to see Orin doing his individual, the judge approached him and looked at his head and teeth, but as she moved to the side Orin turned his head to look at her, the more she went over his body, the more he leaned away. I've never seen him like that before, he was obviously uncomfortable with her and unsettled. But Why? We'll never know. He didn't freak out, he was just unsettled, and of course that cost him a decent place in the class. Whilst turning the last corner with him Ian felt his leg "Pop," he was in absolute agony and just made it back to the van. On the way home I dropped Ian off at A&E, and he was diagnosed with a tear of gastrocnemius calf muscle, healing time is 6 -8 weeks. I really hope he's better soon because I'm not pushing him around Crufts in a wheelchair! 
Kasey and I went into the open class and she showed beautifully for me. Ok she was still leaning back slightly in stance, a habit that she has, but with treats I did manage to get her looking quite well. Kasey is a lovely bitch who often doesn't do herself justice in the ring. I was very pleased that she was second and maybe in a bigger ring with more room to move she could have even done better! BOB went to a puppy.The ringside fell silent as the puppy was not of great quality. BOB without doubt should have gone to one of the adults, Kevin or Callie.  Ah well open shows are always a lottery! With Ian in so much pain, we didn't stay for Bella's veteran class, such a shame but couldn't be helped! 
Can you spot the only dog with a seat??? 
Click on the photo to enlarge and you might!