Saturday 23 October 2021

Zeus And Orin


Steve and I split the exercising again today. He took Loki and afterwards went off with Zeus to the field. I joined them, Zeus doing his own thing, as he does. He is just so happy throwing that ball about, he gets so carried away he sometimes forgets to have a wee. We both admired his beauty, his hair ruffled from blowing in the wind, what a stunning dog he is. Steve said again that he wishes he could have found a home all for himself .. with maybe another dog or an Archie as a mate. It's too late for that now we couldn't part with him, we adore him, and we try and do the best by him. He's fed on time, he's walked, he gets to run in the field, he has his own toy box and bed, he's warm, he's safe and most importantly he's happy. He accepts his routine and is chilled and relaxed, never aggressive or unsure of himself. Though the fireworks last night were an exception, but an understandable exception. I know I'm repeating myself, but we just have no bother with him, he's just a happy relaxed clown of a dog. I can only conclude that they simply were the wrong people with the wrong lifestyle for Zeus.  Now I must believe that a dog can be two versions of themselves in two different environments. This is Zeus' kitchen ball, the rubber ball on a rope is strictly for outside use! 
Orin is looking stunning, sometimes I just can't get over how he's turned out. Of course he always caught my eye, as he's maturing he's so impressive. As I've said before he can only get better. I've now got the kit to do his haemophilia test, and Katrina has suggested that if I want to offer him at stud that I test him for PD too, so I've also got the test to do that. PD is Pituitary Dwarfism, the test is to check if he carries the gene that produces it. Dwarf GSD's are not just small Shepherds, they have huge health problems and most live quite miserable lives, so testing breeding stock can only be of long-term benefit to the breed. Cross everything the tests come through clear now and maybe someday there could be little Orin's about!