Wednesday 13 October 2021

A Bit More About Sammi's Surprise

Sammi was taken to be mated to the Import Ole Von Pendler in August 2016. She hated him, and after an hour or two of trying to convince her otherwise we gave up. Ole's owner gave me the option of trying his home-bred male Videx Merlot, and within minutes we had a mating. I remember being so disappointed as Sammi ruined months of plans and research, but at least we'd had a mating. 
Knowing what I know now about progesterone testing I know I took Sammi to be mated at least 36 hrs too late, the ova were dying, we were so lucky to get a mating and the small litter. At 4 weeks Sammi was showing signs of pregnancy, morning sickness, off her food, but no abdominal enlargement. At 5 weeks she was scanned and I was devastated to be told that it looked likely that Sammi was reabsorbing the litter. 10 days later and the pregnancy was still progressing ..I'd even felt movement and a  further scan showed the 2 puppies seen on the earlier scan were still there ... "oh and was that another hiding?" The third was not seen again ... until she was born! 
So who is Blanik Jeevana? - Kaiah was the sweetest easiest bitch puppy ever, she had no hang ups about life and took every day and every situation as it came. There is no doubt baby Kaiah loved life, she bounced her way happily through every day. 
There is no doubt the adult Kaiah is a leader, strong-willed and determined within the pack. She still has no hang-ups or fears, she is confident in her own skin and in every situation. Though she loves Steve she is dedicated to me, she is my left-hand girl, between us we rule the pack. Kaiah is still extremely obedient, her recall is outstanding, and she's still can be demandingly cuddly and affectionate. She loves people, I've never seen her nervous or aggressive with anyone or anything, though her presence was off-putting to Fransisco apparently! Personally I didn't think she did anything wrong, but Joe said that he felt Sisco was treading on eggshells around her. (I have to say that the hormonal Kaiah is not such a pleasant person - I will have to decide over the next year to take her back to Zalu or spay her! ) 
Kaiah loves her daughter and was a great mum, she still adores Ross, but has bonded strongly with Orin. I think she feels she needs the strongest male by her side and Orin has the potential to be just that. She has never had time or patience for Loki, I think she had picked up on his weaknesses of character from very early on, and who knows maybe physical weaknesses too?  It reminds me of the way Tali was with Finlay ... "Oh go away you are just an idiot!"
So back in 2016 I didn't get the mating I wanted, but my god I sure got the bitch puppy I was hoping for. Kaiah is special, constructionally beautiful balanced with a strong confident character. What more could I have wished for? I don't see her father in her, not at all, I see Blanik and Nico, but I do see Merlot and his mother in Siska, and in MalaKai ... family will always come out! 
The top photo was within minutes of Kaiah arriving, she's the soggy one. It's very odd because in this photo Sammi looks so much like Kaiah does now! The second photo is of Tali with a baby Kaiah, and the third of course is a recent one, here Siska reminds me so much of her maternal grandfather.