Monday 4 October 2021

Black Cow

Steve went out with Loki at 6.45pm, just as it was getting dark. He was back in minutes and said there was a black cow in the field. How did it get in there? Well we don't know and unless there is something obvious in daylight I guess we won't, but in the process of trying to get it out it's broken 4 fence posts, trampled the fence and got it's leg caught in the mesh. Add to that that if my neighbour didn't know I was a foul-mouthed fishwife before, he does now! 
Seriously it's not funny, we now have the costs and labour of re-fencing a section of the field to keep our dogs safely in and the livestock out! Of course the cost is on us, the law states that its down to us to keep livestock out. I still feel strongly that cattle should not be free roaming in these upland villages, and this year there has been more than ever of them. The farmers simply drop them off in Spring and remove them in late Autumn. Maybe they check on them. maybe they don't, but I do remember one died by falling down one of the quarry holes years ago. I doubt anything will change, not unless someone is seriously hurt in the village or walking on the mountain.