Wednesday 27 October 2021

A Year On

This time last year Kaiah was in season. She was mated on the 8th of Nov (I think).
So much excitement, hopes and dreams. A year on and I have a hamster! LOL Siska's mouth is always full of something, be it a toy, shit, grass, mud, stones, anything, and of course the concern is she swallows most things! The vet was certain that the large ulcer in the back on the roof of her mouth was caused by something she swallowed weeks earlier. It must have scraped the roof of her mouth as it went down, at the time it was bigger than a 10p piece, but already healing nicely. Last week at the show she was shitting tissues! I know now that she grabs them out of my hoodie pocket and instantly swallows them. Why? Just why Siska? I have to confess she still also grabs me, there is no malice in her at all, she just can't control her mouth when she's excited! She will also sit in the evening, almost falling asleep with my hand in her mouth. When she's overexcited she's wild, completely nuts, as a teenager should be. In calmer moments she's so cuddly and affectionate, quite a darling to be honest, though that may not be good for her reputation!
I usually write about changes at the end of the year, but this morning I can't help but think back. Things were so different a year ago. Asha was here and doing very well, Zeus was living under a different name in Derby, and Isla?  Feck knows where Isla was! We miss Asha so much, such a calm sensible girl, unless there was food about! Haha. Other show exhibitors loved her thieving ways. I'm sure a lot more people than we know of lost food to Asha out of their open bags. (careless left open I hasten to add) Meal times are so different here now, so much calmer, and no one clock watches quite as accurately as Asha did!
I didn't like Zeus' original pet name, for me it was a name for a Boxer, or a Bull breed, but it's not my place to tell owners what to call their dogs, after all it is their choice. I cringe at one of the names used on one of the pups, I often think how can they call that beautiful puppy by that name? Anyway when a dog comes back I have to decide if the name given to them is one I can live with, Storm was, Simba was ... Buba wasn't, so I changed him to Buddy. If I am changing it I have to find a name that is similar, though Zeus is spelled nothing like Bruce the sound was similar enough for me to be able to use it. Though I like the name Zeus it would not be my choice of name for a dog, it's so popular ... but I needed a name that worked, and it did/does. There are two dogs in Orin's age class with the pet name Zeus ... and we have a Kai! 
The weather forecast for the next week is pretty dier, rain and wind most days. I went out in full farmer regalia today, Oilskins don't look pretty, but they work. It's still do-able to go out, just a taste of what is to come I'm afraid! Mostly these don't give a damn about the wind and rain, but Zeus is not too keen. This photo made me laugh, eyes closed, ears back, "Please turn the wind down." Oh mate you ain't seen nothing yet!