Saturday 23 October 2021

Fireworks

 A lie in till 8.30am is practically unheard of here, thanks guys it was lovely. Only the odd "yip" from Orin after 8am, but one "Shut up O" worked. Another dirty rainy, windy miserable morning so I guess they too were not bothered about getting up. 
Last night Zeus had a bit of a meltdown. It was before 7.30pm and he was in the middle room with the door open to go out into the garden. Steve had gone out to the yard to fill the coal bucket when fireworks exploded. Ok they didn't last long, but they were very close and very loud, 7 of the dogs were out. In the yard Sammi barked at them, the others seemed oblivious. I went to check on Zeus and he was practically stuck to the living room door. He continually jumped on me nervously, but I ignored the panic and just went to close the outside door. I just said calmly it's Ok now and I left him to it. I would have imagined he'd have been out when the first fireworks were set off, poor lad. The worse thing you can do is fuss about it, trying to cuddle them to reassure them only reinforces the fear.  I checked on him again about 10 mins later and he was calm and relaxed. Steve also went to sit with him through Eastenders, he was fine, though he was very unsure at going out for the last wee at 10.30pm
Later Nico also behaved oddly, he wasn't nervous, just unsettled ... I can only put that down to the fireworks too. There certainly seems to be nothing wrong with him anyway! I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, but come on, licensed events on 2 weekends of the year must be the way forward! 
I have reduced Loki's steroids further. I'm now trying 12.5mg every other day, let's see how we go eh! If this works then next time we need a prescription I may ask for 10 mg tablets ... here's hoping! 
The cat is back next door, they have made him a bed in the barn and went to buy cat food for him. There still has been no reply on social media, such a shame. At least he'll be warm, dry and fed now!