Thursday 14 October 2021

Have You Heard Of Crepitus?

 I hadn't, but on a breed page on Facebook it is being discussed today. I read with interest and I can't help but think of Ross. 
Crepitus - "Noise when a joint moves is caused by friction between articulating surfaces in a joint or when ligaments or tendons snap back after stretching over bony structures. Friction between anatomical structures causes vibration which creates acoustic energy, some of which releases into the air resulting in audible sounds."
I've decided to include the link to an article for future reference. Though Ross did suffer an injury when he was about 6 months I have to be honest and say he never did have the front movement of the Blanik crew. From about 4 months I wondered if there was an issue, but Ross was so accident-prone, and I'm sure he got his leg caught in the crate when he was still quite small.  X.rays later on showed nothing obviously wrong with the elbows, but the clicking in one elbow, which is very loud still occasionally happens. It was explained by the physio that it was highly unlikely to be the joint as it doesn't consistently click. 
Following the extra walk this week were Steve continually kicked or threw the kong, Ross was stiff, bordering on lame in the evening. Though I had hoped to get him back in the show ring in January, it kind of put a dampener on my plans. I have reminded Steve not to throw the kong too often for him, I think when he comes to a stop he does it with such force that it aggravates the old injury/abnormality. No one has ever mentioned Crepitus to me before - it would be nice to have some answers.