Monday 1 February 2021

Overthinking Again

Little Geraldine wasn't quite right last night. She refused her supper and I immediately got into a panic. No need to tell me not to, I am who I am and I can't help that. Around 1.15am she vomited and has been OK since. There is no doubt she is a little behind but I'm hoping that over this week she'll pile on the pounds and get those legs a little more coordinated. It's funny how people presume she will be staying, it's far too early for that decision, but if I'm to be honest, and both are on an equal footing then it is far more likely to be her as my passion is for a S/C GSD.
Funnily it didn't start off that way. I first fell in love with the breed when I was a child and attending dog training classes with my grandmother and her Sheltie, Sandy. One of the instructors would walk in followed by her husband and his dog. A L/C called Crusader, who was never on a lead. I remember him so clearly, light on his feet with huge forward reach and great rear action. At the time I use to think that dog looks like he floats .... a bit like Ziva I guess. 
It was years later when I was in my early 20ies that the opportunity came to have my own GSD. By then I was already an obedience instructor (BIPDT) and little Pepsi and I were starting to travel to obedience shows. I found myself a GSD breeder and booked my puppy, my heart set on a L/C male who would look like Crusader but would be called Blade. Then my friend Marilyn who was showing Rough Collies gave me food for thought pointing out to me that I couldn't show a L/C ... and by then I was getting interested in showing too. Well there was no L/C in the litter and Blade became mine on the 14/4/91. If he had been a L/C then how easily I could have walked a different path! 
Blade was a tall ungainly youngster. All ears, head and legs, he had no body or substance to him ... but my god he matured into something special. My first GSD, my first BOB, My first BIS winner, Obedience competition winner and he even made me some money being in Welsh TV programs. What a dog! 
So will there ever be another L/C at Blanik? Well never say never. Maybe this time there will be. I've never been as close to keeping one as I was to keeping Bruce, but weighing everything up then Orin was the right pup for me. Maybe one day I'll get my Zalu pup? Maybe that will be a L/C? Everyone knows that Zalu has really stolen my heart. I've never see a dog that reminded me so much of Louis .. though he looks nothing like him, (Zalu is a sable L/C and Louis was a Black and Tan S/C) but he has the same spirit, zest for life and happy friendly nature ... Wait and see eh!