Thursday 4 February 2021

Dear Debra

 If truth be known I hadn't known Debra long. I first met her at Builth in April 2016. Though we had mixed in the same circles in the 90ies I really had no knowledge of who she was. I guess when she moved to south Wales from the north of England our circles became closer. She spoke to me at Builth as if she knew me, with hindsight I think she thought I was someone else. After our chat I walked away and asked a few people who she was, no one knew the Gordie who had moved to Wales then, but they soon would.  
Over the next few months a few things happened which kept my guarded, now they are not worth repeating and as I got to know Debra I realised that I really quite liked her. She was mostly and upbeat quick-witted person, lots of fun and quite loud. Though I did see her heartbroken as she was told to "Get Rid" of Dai, that he would never be any good. Of course she didn't, she adored him. Though like the rest of us she was as aware of his construction faults, but she showed him fearlessly. I guess she and I got closer because Dai and Ross are the same age and were in the same class. We supported each other, as it should be and our boys became mates, often playing instead of dealing with the matter in hand. 
We had so much fun at the shows, usually sharing cake and stories after our classes. Though there is often the odd one who throws their toys out of the pram when they don't win it was never us, we took it on the chin together. Oh don't get me wrong there is often a moan on the way home in the van, we wouldn't be human if we didn't moan ... but ring side was win with pride and lost with dignity .. or sometimes a giggle.
The last time I saw Debra was at Caernarfon show last February/March, I commented on her laboured breathing ... "Oh I've had a chest infection," she said lighting her smoke, so I told her off about that too but she just shrugged and we moved on.  That day we shared confidential information, she told me her plans to get married, and I told her Sammi was pregnant. We also shared concerns ... again this maybe not the time or place to share the contents of such conversations. 
By June/July the headaches had been too much for Debra and she finally went looking for help. Ct scan confirmed she had a brain tumour, but it was simply going to get worse with every diagnosis. Debra referred to the core of the cancer and the mothership and that was in her lungs, the cancer had spread to her kidneys, liver, brain and stomach. In September she was told she had a maximum of 7 months. Her words not mine, "I've done this to myself, if only I hadn't wanted to be cool at 13, if only I hadn't started smoking then."  The ifs and buts came too late for Debra, let them not be too late for you.
Debra and I chatted on messanger, but when her sight started failing we chatted on the phone and video called each other. It was hard to see the changes in her, but it was what she wanted so I did it. Recently there had been no replies to my messages, but Dave said please keep sending her the photos, she does see them on the laptop...so I did. Up until the 15th of January they were seen after that it went silent. Debra was taken to hospital at the weekend for end of life care, she was not responding and the family had to say their goodbyes. Debra died on the morning of the 3/2/21 - She was 58 years old. 
Rest in peace my lovely, We won't forget the fun, the wit and the friendship, we won't forget you .