Monday 15 February 2021

Bits And Pieces

Geraldine and Pink 
Lucky shot of the girls together. A great photo to distinguish S/C and L/C sisters in the same litter don't you think? Geraldine is still doing really well and is now 6lb - And Pink? Well she's not saying ... Weight Watchers here we come, haha. 
Last night was a big night for the little guys. The heat lamp was off and Kaiah went to her own bed. She did have a short screaming match about 3.30am but I screamed louder and told her to shut up. She did, till 7.15am, and I was happy to get up with her then. So the first night away from mummy .. and in the dark too, they did well but what a welcome we got this morning.
Wren and Robin 
It's another pretty shit morning here today, wind and rain, though I gather it'll be better after lunch, so we'll go out then. The pups have been pottering, visiting the bathroom, the utility room and running riot in the middle room. I flushed the loo several times, I hoovered and dropped some dinner bowls .. lots of things to see and hear now. 
I'f you've been following this blog for years then you'll know that now I'm about to become obsessed with hernias and testicles! This is around the age that both appear. One we don't want, two we really need, especially with the prospects of a show home for one male. There is no point buying a male to show if his bits are not there! Ideally they should be there by 8 weeks, but some can take longer and as long as you can feel that they are there about to drop I guess it's not too much of a concern. When they don't drop at all the adult dog will need surgery to be neutered. Testicles retain in the body become too hot and usually become cancerous in middle-aged to older dogs. Honestly is always the best policy, breeders must tell prospective owners when the testicles have not dropped and equally they must inform them if the pups have hernias. 
Raven
Nikki my foundation bitch had a small hernia, she had three litters and produced 2 males with hernias in 1997. We then had no further issues with hernias and I had become quite complacent about it, so imagine my shock to have three in the "I" litter of 2013. I discussed it with the prospective owners, one was an experienced GSD owner/exhibitor, she was not in the least bit bothered that her boy had such a tiny hernia. The other two prospective buyers did as I suggested and rang their vets. They were told not to worry and that they would be fixed when the bitches were spayed, both vets also complemented me on my honestly which was nice. Anyway to date no hernias in this litter, but of course I'll keep looking as I know they can just appear when least expected. And the boys bits? Well hopefully within the next 2 weeks everything with these boys will appear where they should be!