Thursday 21 November 2019

Send It Back

Yesterday we joked on Facebook that Luther should go back to the rescue centre as I wanted a kitten not a feck off big black cat. Most people know me well and consider me to be a "true friend" not a "two faced person," (yes, the green eyed monsters is at it again) so most people joined in the banter. It's heartbreaking how many are taken back isn't it, mostly through no fault of their own. People are far to quick to give up on animals.
The boy is seven months now and I would think he still has quite a bit of growing to do, but my god he's such a handsome dude .. he's so black he glistens, but if you look closely he still has the lighter undercoat and the stripes are apparent in some lights.
We are all after the perfect show dog, but there never is one (well apart from Louis and Sammi 💖😁💖) and sometimes all our hopes and dreams are pinned on the shoulder of a promising puppy. Of the recent youngsters here Sammi turned out as I expected her to do so I guess, I've always been really pleased with her. Loki was always eye catching, even in the nest he had potential but he turned out better maybe than early indications, despite some minimal issues he is one handsome dog. Kaiah, Hmm Kaiah .. as close to where I want to be in the breed as I've ever been. I can't really think of much you could do to improve her .. she really is in my eye pretty close to ideal .. again I stress this is my opinion, my interpretation of the breed standard. Huge change from me pointing out the negative isn't it!
I searched far an wide for my next dream.. a sable male. It was heartbreaking at times with Teddy not having early potential, then the owner of Chris deciding to keep him, though he has now been sold on and of course Sable 2 with his no show testicles! Of all I think  sable 2 was the hardest to take. Then I found My Mr Poldark, my Ross. Now I won't kid myself that he has turned out as I had hoped. He hasn't! To be honest I've probably taken a step back. The serious show goer would rehome him, but I'm not in it for the glory my dogs are pets who go to shows. As regards to being a show dog, well he just quite hasn't made the grade. He lacks coat and furnishings which always goes against him, he has a slight raise in his back and he lacks the attitude so needed in the ring. Ross loves the shows, but he goes to play with his mates or to dig holes and find twigs .. not for the "showing!" He'll never be the stud dog I hoped he would be either. I haven't health tested him as it's too much money to pay on a dog I feel is not "quite" good enough. My dog, my opinion, my choice! 
As regards to Ross .. the dog, the pet, well hell you could never get better. Ross loves life, he's as bright as a shiny button, obedient, affectionate, kind, entertaining and funny .. so funny. He's a huge presence in this pack and has made me smile everyday that I've known him .. that means so much more to me than any win in the showring.
With Nico aging we will soon be without a stud dog here, Ross was to be the next generation but as I've said it's not to be. Ideally I wanted a stud dog who was not related to Nico so I could use him myself and he could be used on the Nico daughters in the area .. but I'm not in a position to bring in another male. So I guess plan B on that count could be to keep a male from Sisco and Sammi. Having a male who looks like Sisco, well I would be so proud! Of course lots of ifs and buts aren't there, I'm more wary than ever that Sammi will not get pregnant and then there's the testicle issues. Both her sons from the Merlot litter had a retained testicle, what if that were to happen again? I must admit I was quite taken aback about that as I'd only ever had one pup before with a retained testicle and that was in the "E" litter of 2003. I can't therefore think that it carries in my line, Sammi's brothers had their testicles and to my knowledge Nico has never produced the abnormality. Now I'm not blaming Merlot, it takes two to tango and the combination of the bloodlines would have been to blame, not one parent or the other! So yeah the ideal dream now would be a male from Sammi who either looks like Sisco .. or Nico ... and a sable bitch pup from Kaiah later next year. We can dream can't we!