Thursday 22 August 2019

Lon Gatws

 With the builders in I thought it best to take take Nico and Jezi with me when I went shopping to Porthmadog. I racked my brains for a place to walk on the way back and decided to stop at the top of Penmorfa and go up Lon Las (Blue Road .. honest!) I pulled up, parked and looked up the track to see knee high wet grass and opted against it as I wasn't quite dressed for it, but I did have an alternate route. Just over the road is "Lon Gatws" now don't ask me to translate Gatws .. I haven't a clue but Lon is Road .. If Google doesn't know my father will!!!  
I have such fond memories of this walk, I use to walk it with my Nain (Grandmother) and the lovely Rough Collie, Sandy. I loved my Nain so much, we were so similar ... yeah she was my hero. It was sad to see the path so overgrown in places but lovely to be there again ... I can only think that the last time I did this walk was as a child with my Nain .. reminiscing and emotional now.
.... Google says that Gatws is Gate Lodge - well that would make sense as the now refurbished lodge stands roadside at the entrance to the walk. Actually the lodge use to be referred to as "Ty Potel Ink" as the old cottage did resemble an ink bottle being square with a chimney in the middle.