Sunday 4 August 2019

Cwn Llaid

Whilst walking sometime in the winter I met up with Larry who lives in the village. I've referred to him before as the goose man, simply because he often moves his geese along the road through the village. He's a lovely guy, very chatty and friendly. His Welsh is very correct and I get quite embarrassed by my Wenglish! Hell my heritage and language are important to me but my Welsh is sadly very polluted by English words .. it is what it is!
Anyway on this one long chat we were talking about where we walk and how far we go when he mentioned "Cwm Llaid." I'd never heard of it but discovered I walk there regularly, I was so pleased that I had discovered the name of this "cwm" (Valley) and made a point of it in my head. Sadly by the time I got home I'd completely forgotten, but I thought some of my local friends will know. Well they didn't!
It's been weeks since I saw Larry and today I finally got to ask him again ... Cwm Llaid, yeah Valley of Mire/Mud!  How apt for this beautiful but boggy valley. I do find it odd that no one else has heard of it ... but how ever the name has come about I love it, after all not many know or have heard of Smurf tunnel or Auntie's cottage up here have they?