Monday 19 August 2019

It Was All Going So Well ...

 Steve dropped me off in Talysarn and I walked the narrow path following the river down towards Penygroes. The river had been obviously well over the bank, but in wellies who cares! With sheep in the fields on the second part of the walk I turned back and headed for the rickety bridge. This walk also takes you through fields in one section, but sadly there were cattle there so I headed back to Talysarn. Not a long walk but we all had fun. 

 When I got home I decided to take the other 2 lots around Twll Braich.
It was just stunning in the August sunshine
 Loki loves going out with the girls .. I'm not sure the girls are equally impressed as he constantly steals their toy, drops it and gets his own. In the end neither Sammi or Ziva could be bother with their toy and it ended up in the bag.
Having only had a short early walk I took Kaiah and Ross out again for a short walk with Loki. It was all going so well, great recalls and super photos when Kaiah disappeared through the gorse. I then saw her set off after a lone sheep down towards the farm. I screamed and screamed at her but I got no reaction from her at all. I started to run down after her, now if you've never been in this position you can never imagine how I was feeling. The fear is beyond, my heart was racing as I ran as fast as a fat fifty year old can. I saw the sheep run into a flock and turn to face Kaiah, oh fuck what was going to happen now? The other sheep started to run but Kaiah and the first sheep stood nose to nose before it started to run again. The farm dogs were barking as the sheep and Kaiah ran towards me. I was coming down to the right as the sheep went left pretty close to me, I called Kaiah she thought about it and came towards me. I grabbed her and I'm not afraid to admit I took action, the only action I saw fit at the time. Positive reinforcement is all well and good but in this circumstance negative reinforcement from me at the time was far better than a bullet from a farmer if it should happen again. Yes I lost it with her. 
Suddenly I thought Ross? I turned to look behind me to see Ross there with his kong in his mouth. Bless him he had followed me down and stayed with me, now that is a bloody good dog! And Loki? He was stood further up the field keeping away from everything. I called both boys over and praised them, what amazing boys. I then walked back towards the sheep, boys loose and her on the lead .. again I felt it necessary to do some "Harsh Training" with her.  Criticise me all you like, to be honest I don't care. Where sheep are concerned it's kill or cure here and I do not intend to loose my dog, as I said better some harsh handling from me than a bullet from a farmer. Tomorrow I'll be going out to find sheep and continue some training ... hopefully with more positive methods!