Friday 17 May 2019

Who Killed Roger Rabbit?

Now I absolutely adore my cats, they are a huge part of my life. I've always said that if I had to I could live without cats, but I would never choose too. I can't imagine life without dogs, I think that would merely be an existence. Whatever the circumstances there must be the right dog for anyone and everyone who wants to share a life with them.
Anyway, Cats. Little Perry still hasn't figured out the cat flap, I've done everything I can and know to try and teach him to use it, sadly it's a no go. Choo had figure it out before he was 5 months old .. Perry will be a year old on or around the 24th of this month.  He's not a stupid cat, on the contrary he's as bright as a button but this cat flap is a no go. If I pin it open he uses it, If I close it he considers it closed! I can't wedge it half way open because of the slightly larger members of the house, then they could get stuck, or more likely they'd break it. We've tried luring him in and out with food, but that wasn't that successful either. If he's out when we go to bed and the weather is favorable I leave the utility window open for him. Last night not long after we'd gone to bed the wind picked up a little, I got up made sure he was in and closed the window. I woke up at around 6.30am and got to open the window for him, he ran straight out. It was a lovely calm bright morning but still too early for me to stay up. As I walked back through I noticed one of the tabby boys sitting by the cat flap, I remember wondering what he was doing sitting there?  ... but to be honest I took little notice and went back to bed. I was asleep again in no time and though I heard heavy rain I made no effort to get up again.
The Kaiah alarm went off just after 8am .. as it does, and everyone got ready to get up. This time I guess I was a little more awake but it still took a few seconds for what I saw to register. Excuse the profanity but it was a feck off big, but dead rabbit just on the inside of the cat flap. The poor bugger, they had eaten it's back legs, but the rest of it was there staring at me. I went from feeling annoyed to feeling sick and sad. Why do they have to do it? They are well fed and well loved .. Why? Ok it's the nature of the beast I know, I understand ... but couldn't they have left it outside? It would have been a hell of a job to get a fully grown rabbit like that in through the cat flap. Instead of dealing with it I called for back up .. STEVE!!!!!  The more I try and remember which of the two younger tabbies was there at 6.30am the more muddled I get. In my mind I can see both, but it was only one of them, not that it really matters but now I can't remember which!
As I say, I love my cats but not necessarily some of their habits. I know there are complaints that the area is over run with rabbits, but with natural predators like foxes still being killed by aresholes with guns there is not a natural balance of nature is there! Anyway I choose to share my life with cats, I can only thank god these cats where not around when we had Ginger Bunny!