Wednesday 22 May 2019

Kai News

I have had a call from the owner of Kai, Asha's brother. He has had an adverse reaction to a product called "Nexguard." I was unfamiliar with the product but John said it was an oral flea and tick repellent. Anyway I've I  have just googled it .. "Four flea and tick products may cause seizures, tremors, and lost coordination in some cats and dogs. Food and Drug Administration officials have received thousands of reports of adverse events connected with three products—Bravecto, Nexgard, and Simparica—containing drugs in the isoxazoline class." I'm so pleased John has contacted me as the vets have previously encourage him to treat the dog monthly with Advocate now changing to Nexguard. He was told that if he did not continue this monthly regime his dog was at risk of heart worm or lung worm! Under the vets influence he has also been taking him for yearly boosters and had him booked in on his 11 birthday for his next booster. We had a long chat and Kai will not be receiving any more of these products for preventative measures and lying the pockets of his vet even further. I'm disappointed that vets are still giving boosters to 7, 8, 9, 10 year old's and would probably have given him a Vacc at 11 yrs too had we not had the conversation! Really its quite shocking!
 "First do no harm." So why have they actively encouraged, almost scaremongerd the owner to put chemicals on his dog once a month for almost 11 years?  To so many people a vets word is beyond reproach, pet owners do not question it, they think they are giving their dogs the very best care.
Of course I have to worm my dogs, more often than I like too really, but when you have killer cats you have too. When my dogs have fleas I treat them, but to be honest as I treat the house regularly with Staykill we tend not to have issues. I just can not see the necessity in using these products as preventative, used that way they must be doing more harm than good. All I can suggest is that before using any chemical product on your pets or giving them any vaccinations .. do your research, thankfully the information is now available on line.
Thanks John for getting in touch, it's the same for anyone with a "Blanik Baby" our door is always open, if we can help we will.