Friday 26 January 2018

Exploring

With such wonderful weather again I convinced Steve to go for a run in the car this afternoon and take me exploring. We didn't go far, just to Llanllyfni and back up Lon Ddwr towards Talysarn, with a stop off at the base of Cwm Silyn. I really enjoyed our hour out ... Such stunning views. 
I fell in love with this derelict cottage. Such a lovely spot to live .. amazing views. I could just about make out the name on the gate so when I got back I googled it. ..
"High up on the slopes of Craig Cwm Silyn, Maen y Gaseg is a classic example of the quarryman's "tyddyn" or smallholding.The wages of a quarryman were not enough to support a family on, and most quarrymen in the Nantlle valley rented smallholdings to suppliment their meagre wages. As the slate industry declined and the welfare state civilised the ravages of victorian capitalism, so the workers moved to warmer and more comfortable council houses in the villages.Today, the landscape is graced by the many remains of their smallholdings, slowly returning to nature. Curiously, "Maen y Gaseg in English translates to "the Stone Mare"...I think my rudimentary Welsh is missing something there."
 This is "Craig Cwm Silyn" - we walked here in 2015
Wonderful memories of walking with friends .. and Mikey
We saw Lamas at the top and Alpaca on Lon Ddwr.
So pleased we went out, North Wales is so beautiful and there's so much to see. These days are precious and not to be wasted sitting on our butts watching TV!
But now I need to sleep .. Nos Da!