Sunday 21 August 2016

Welsh Kennel Club Champ Show

Well there are dog shows, and there are DOG SHOWS! WKC 2016, not one I will ever forget, but maybe not for the right reasons! Loved the principal winners, 2 of my favourite bitches ... but the road to getting there was sure an odd one. I was very proud of my two who both came home with a red card, a rarity on the day I think! Loki was first in his class, the judge withheld second place and gave the next dog a third and would not reassess the other dog as he had already withheld it from any place in a previous class because of it's bad character. (Fair enough in my book!)
Asha stood alone in veteran bitch but was given a red card and then went on to beat the Champion Male for best Veteran in breed. The girl did me proud!
The Russian judge withheld in several classes, without good reason. 6 times - only one mentioned earlier was justified. Once he realised he could do it he even requested to go back and remove a place he had already given! I don't think he understood the British KC rules on withholding a place, so maybe his stewards should have made it more clear?
With both "types" present one thing I will say about yesterday was that the atmosphere ring side was lovely. Be it brought on by confusion or not I'll never know, but the applause, cheering and support for our type of dog was great. Why the "English" exhibits where there I'll never know, why would they think a Russian would promote a type of dog only seen in the UK, and then in a minority?  From a personal point of view I also enjoyed showing my own dogs again. The new rules made it easier for me I guess in some ways, though I did not and will not stand my dogs four square!
I was disappointed for Ian with Bella who was pulled out first but then presented with a second prize cards as first was withheld. The judges reasons, Bella has a light eye and poor nose pigment, otherwise he explained, "a beautiful bitch!" Well yeah we know she has these faults, but hell, that's not enough to withhold the first place, these are not faults that would be detrimental to her working ability! I was so sorry for Ian, who was obviously disheartened, this would have meant more to him than that man could ever know. His first show bitch .. cruel and unnecessary I think, but Ian did not stand alone yesterday, it happened to the best of them and for no good reason!