Wednesday 10 August 2016

24 Hours

One of The Last Photos - 7/8/16
Last night I strangely felt some relief, to see Mikey go down hill the way he had left me shattered. I comfort myself in the knowledge that 24 hrs before our final goodbye the boy was walking on the mountain. Yes he was slower than he had been, but he had a good time and in no way did I expect the events that were to follow.
Monday morning I parked the van up towards the shooting range, unloaded and set off towards the Smurf quarry hole! I walked round it and then went left towards the derelict cottage, but instead of going further I opted to go downhill to the cattle grid and then to the kissing gate before returning to the van. My reason for changing course was that I felt Mikey had had enough and though he was still pottering about I observed his demeanor. On getting back to the van he struggled to get in, he hadn't as we set off for the walk. I guess that was the first thing that was different! I didn't take any photos on this walk.. damn it I didn't take any photos!
With Steve away in the afternoon I closed all the doors and dozed on the sofa for an hour or so. Around 2pm I opened the doors and let the dogs out. Went to make a cuppa and came back to the living. All 6 dogs where up and about. I got my Laptop out and had a look at what was happening on Facebook. A crow started to screech outside and 5 of the dogs ran out, but Mikey couldn't get up, though he tried he didn't seem to be able to get his legs under him to get up. As I was about to get up and help him he was off to tell that crow exactly what he thought of his noise! I cried, that bastard lump was now starting to get in the way of his mobility, but Mikey was still determined to get up and out.
Mikey ate some of his dinner, and some of his supper but during the evening we observed more and more that he was having difficulties in getting up. He failed to get up on the chair so I called him over to the sofa, for once it was free. With a little help he came up and rested his beautiful head on my lap for about 15 mins before deciding to go back on the dog bed by the telly.
As we set off for bed he couldn't get back in his crate quick enough for his biscuit. But still I felt a huge sadness an ache in my heart and there was no way I could sleep for the tears. I knew it was close .. but still I didn't expect it to be that close.
Yesterday we where up about 7.30am . I opened the door to be greeted by lovable Loki, Mikey was still lying by the fire. I called him he got to his feet, head hung low he walked past me and went out, got as far as the bathroom window and collapsed onto the floor. This is when I noticed his hind leg was swollen to double it's normal size. Steve and I helped him to his feet and he pottered to the other side of the yard, his wee was badly blood strained! I went in to prepare the dog breakfasts, Steve stayed out with the troops, as I went to get them in Steve was in pieces at the realisation that our beautiful dog was dying. Mikey came in and I offered him some pilchards in tomato sauce, he licked at the sauce but wanted nothing more. I offered him some fish treats .. he ate a couple and I did give him his medication. I figured there was no way I was letting him be in further pain and any help was now worth getting. The colour of his lips and eye was white and he started to drool uncontrollably. The poor boy could barely walk and we can only think that something was also devastatingly wrong inside him. He made no effort to get into the van as we left for the vets, you'd be surprised how much strength you have when you need it! The vet was lovely, Mikey fell asleep in my arms in the back of the van he loved so much and came home to be with his family. 15 years to this day we also lost Blade. I hope they are now the best of friend.
Mikey came into the world and into my arms in the back of the car on the bridge in Chwilog. He was always my dog, though he did adore Steve too. There was no way I could have sold the puppy and the adult dog was my friend, my shadow. He loved people but even had a strop if anyone else held his lead, it was by my side that he needed to be. The adult dog was happy, funny and lovable. A great guard dog, a super friend. The show dog was hard to beat as for years he always gave of his best .. until later in life when it all became a joke to him. Frustrating at the time, but always funny with hindsight!
So here we are the end of another era, but another that has ended too soon. Again I felt cheated of the years that we should have had together. RIP my beautiful Mikey ... thank you for demanding that you stay and share your life with us. My sweet happy, cuddly boy ... never ever forgotten.