Tuesday 10 March 2015

Sammi Should Sign Up!

Sammi's air scenting abilities have always astounded me.  This morning again she has air scented people who where well out of my sight and indeed my hearing. It still bothers me when her nose and tail go into the air together, but in fairness her recall is much improved these days! Not so long ago she would have been off till she found whatever it was she had scented, now with a couple of calls she returns to the pack.
I watch her constantly on walks, well her and Tali. Tali because she's so slow and in a world of her own following scents and eating all kinds of unmentionables! Sammi because she is very highly spirited and very confident. Though it is always in their interest to stay within the pack, so strong is her self confidence that breaking off is really not a problem to her. But to be fair her obedience has improved no end recently and she is no where near as difficult as a young Tali was!
But I do think she has the make up of a working dog, if she could be kept focused she would be fantastic in the forces or even maybe doing mountain rescue. Anywhere were she could use that nose!
I'd say the only downside of her character is her ability to hold a grudge indefinitely. If a dog has crossed her she never seems to forget and the next time she see's them she's up for trouble! I can't help but wonder if unknowing to me something has happened between Sammi and this one lady that she seems to dislike, maybe she's shouted at her for barking in the van at the shows .. well lots of maybes, but one big one, Maybe Sammi is capable of holding a grudge with a person as well!