Sunday 15 March 2015

Sad Realisation On a Spring Walk

Finlay, Nico and Jezi
Sammi, Tali, Asha, Mikey, Ziva and Loki 

Though the sky's were dramatically black in some places it was sunny, with a mild breeze and pretty warm to walk. I was immediately unnerved and upset at the sound of Hounds and Terrier's in the quarry. Why can't they leave our wildlife alone? Over the years I've been privileged to see a few Hare's on the mountain, they won't be there for long if these arseholes continue to break the law!
Anyway to avoid any confrontation I opted for an alternative route on the first walk... we had a great time, apart from when we lost Finlay. I guess he forgot to take note that I'd change course and followed his nose into "Auntie Cottage!" (A derelict cottage on the top path) 
The walk was 30 - 40 mins long but as I was returning for home I could see that Finlay was flagging quite a lot. By the time I got home he was exhausted ... and I was feeling pretty damned guilty! So I guess things will have to change, Nico and Jezi still need a good walk, but this is now proving to be too much for Finlay. (No it's not a one off he has been slowing down for a while) I can't see me going without him, that would be mental torture for him, but maybe I'll have to do a short walk, bring him back and go off with the other two. At the moment I can't think of another sensible alternative, other than to do a third walk for Finlay and Tali and I can see that going down well, NOT! Tali has no time, patience or respect for Finlay, to her he's just a bumbling fool! 
The old man is still doing well, he must be 12 by now. He has given us so much joy in these 8 years. I can't take his freedom away from him now, it's all about quality of life. We will change the routine, bend the rules, do anything to make sure he continues to love living his life! 
Anyway there are about 50 photos of mud covered GSD on their walks today in my new album on Facebook.