Tuesday 6 February 2024

Minor Puppy

I've been trying to figure out who will be in Beti's class at Crufts. Apparently the pup who beat her at Manchester won't be there and the one who was third will already be in puppy. There is a very limited time to qualify for MP classes at Crufts. Puppies exhibited in the class must be between 6 and 9 months on the first day of the show, and the closing date is within days of Manchester champ show, which is the last qualifying show for that years Crufts. (So mid-January) GSD pups qualifying this year could have been from LKA, Essex GSD and Manchester. From what I can see all the others who were in MPB classes at those shows will be in Puppy Bitch (9 - 12 months) by the first day of Crufts 2024. Of course there could be foreign GSD's, there always are, but from what I can see Beti may well stand alone or at least be in a very small class.
This morning I got a message from Andrew, who handled Beti at the weekend. "Beti looks really good on the photos and videos you’ve posted. Great little performance for her first time in that environment. Well done and good luck with her future 👍🏼" I replied thanking him for his support and encouragement, he replied .."Your welcome. If you need help in the future I will always try and help where I can, so never let that stop you from asking 👍🏼" Wow that is so nice. I've known Andrew since I started showing, he has always been there. This guy has forgotten more about GSD's and their handling than we'll ever know. He is always well-mannered and gracious, but he's never shown the same interest in any of my dogs as he has in Beti ... you may recall he messaged me after seeing a photo of her standing around in LKA, he was very complementary and wanted to know who she was even then. I must admit it's quite a thing to see him on the end of her lead, even if it is only this once...lol 
When I first saw Beti I was smitten, though it was hard call between her and Polly. I would not have
taken Abbie, my third pick would have been Ruby, the L/C. The litter's quality seem to shine from very early on and at 6 weeks Beti looked fabulous. Like most puppies she has grown in stages, sometimes looking better than at other times, but in my eye her qualities have always shone. As I've admitted her front movement is not her fortune, strange really as she has nice front angulation ... with 13 month xrays we'll see if there is cause for concern, or not. So far Beti is really fulfilling that early potential and has brightened up the difficult days. My heart still breaks for the one taken too soon, the one stolen from me ... but life goes on and I cry less I suppose. I do hope someday my memory of her won't be tainted by the sadness of her loss, and that I can remember Miss K with a smile and not a tear.