Thursday 7 December 2023

Tears And Tantrums

With Steve's mobility still being poor I'm doing most of what needs doing. Today was bin day and having loaded it this morning I forced my way against the gale forced winds to get it down the track. I de-pooed the yard, the fields and sorted out the recycling. During this time Zeus was happily playing with his ball in the field. I went to join him for a bit and saw his ball had come apart from the long line -shit! He made it plainly obvious straight away that he had no intension of coming in, and after 20 mins or so of trying to convince him, I was getting rather frustrated. I came into the house, hoping he would follow .. he didn't! After a while, I went back out to see him still playing ball by himself in the far corner of the field. I walked towards him calling  "Photo - Wait!" It usually works, today it didn't, I could see the devil in his eye and every time I got within 10 ft of him he'd run off. 
Now catching a dog in a 2 acre field is pretty impossible really isn't it. Throwing my toys out of the pram, I went into the house again and out of pure frustration I burst into tears. Bear in mind the gale forced wind was bitter and I had 6 other dogs who by now really needed to go out. Steve suggested he should try and get him in, I knew that would be pointless, but I came up with a plan. I took Beti and Sammi into the top field and within minutes he'd come up to the fence and was hoping to join them ... I then walked up the field with the girls and he came into the yard, Steve closed the gate and though Zeus was still awkward he was now in a much smaller space. I let Steve deal with him there and get him into the house ... at the time I honestly did not want to look at him! Whether it's nature or nurture, or a combination of both, this dog is not for the faint-hearted. There is no doubt he is very very bright, but frustrating beyond compare, honestly I've never experienced his likes before!
Last night was dog club night, there was only 3 GSD there but actually we had time to do some individual work with our dogs. Beti was quite "barky" at first which was not what I expected, particularly at Kai, but she also barked at Kiaan initially. I failed miserably to get her to go round with the other dogs, she seems to think it's funny to bounce about and bite my clothes, it's now getting to a point where it's not funny anymore! Anyway, Ian went over her and Jackie went over her, which was fine but when I asked them to move her round Beti decided it was not fine, especially when Jackie took charge. Now Jackie and I are cut from the same cloth and both did our instructors training in the 90ies so I agree 100% with the way she handled Beti. Beti, on the other hand did not agree and had the hugest tantrum ever! 
She twisted in circles, threw herself on the floor and tried to fight the lead, she screamed
and tried to reverse out of the lead. Jackie simply stood there holding the lead whilst Beti got it out of her system, I made no effort to "save" her and made no eye contact with her. No one was doing anything to her, it was all her own doing. By the end of the night, a rather defused Beti was moving nicely and standing for both Ian and Jackie. Again, I don't recall any of my dogs having such a tantrum, but I do remember handling one for someone when it did! In my opinion, the whole situation was handled correctly by handler and owner - running to her would have only taught her that throwing such a tantrum would get her the reward she was after - me! We only have one more training class now before Beti's first show and I feel she's miles away from being ready ... but taking her with me Saturday will help I'm sure!