Friday 29 December 2023

Can I Help?

Last night a post I'd missed on a group from early November was brought to my attention. The post is about Beti's brother and his hindquarters. Having given the owner my thoughts on what was going on via the breeder at the time, I was partly disappointed that the owner had not had faith in our advice. Still having weeded through the usual anti-showline crap comments, I was glad that plenty of knowledgeable people had given the same information as we (Myself and the breeder) had. Whilst health testing our dogs, every effort is made to eliminate hereditary conditions, and then with careful selection every effort is made to avoid exaggeration, but it's not a science and mother nature often throws a spanner in the works, as it has here. My opinion was the dog had too much length in second thigh and rear pasterns, he is overregulated and this was nothing to do with hips. With normal moderate exercise and development he should improve, but he may end up cow hocked. My suggestion was that she gave him a couple of months to develop further and then get back in touch.  
As we heard nothing more we presumed all was Ok, but a month later the owner contacted the breeder again. Due to her health problems, she was taking the puppy back to the breeder. As a responsible breeder the door was open for the pup to go "home," I offered that after he'd had time to catch his breath I could help with rehoming ... later in the day the owner changed her mind and said she was keeping the puppy! She has been given 100% support from this responsible breeder, and as the owner of the stud dog I too feel a responsibility for any litters who come into the world. I try my best to support the owners of the females who come to my males, and if in future I can be there to help the owners of the puppies ... then I will be. Please remember if I can help you, I will  .. DM or phone me.