Tuesday 21 January 2020

Jezi Frustration

After traipsing up and down the A55 for days yesterday was a day to relax and walk dogs. I didn't have the energy to walk far but having been confined to the fields for days the guys needed to get out. Unlike us who can take ourselves off anywhere we like in our thoughts dogs are restricted to what they have and see around them in the moment. So for a healthy mind and body they need to see and be seen, even when we can't walk them sometimes a trip in the van and short run in a less familiar place will do the job just as well. Anyway I decided to walk up behind Plas Braich and go into the fields above Twll Braich, we don't go there often and it took them off the property and gave them different sights, smells and sounds.
On the first walk I was just going up behind Plas Braich when someone came towards me with a large Goldie on a retractable lead. I called both dogs but I immediately realised that Jezi was weighing up her options rather than returning. I called again, and again ... Nothing! The man continued towards me and I called out "Please can you stop!" I called her again, she came part way and then went off to the side. I screamed out in frustration "For Fucks sakes," I wanted to kill her, but dog training instincts kicked in and I went down onto my knees and found Kaiah's treats in my pocket. She came, I grabbed her collar and knowing it was the right thing to do I reluctantly praised her. I thanked the man who had waited and then I glance to see where Nico was, bless him, waiting patiently, as he does.
It's so hard not to get frustrated with Jezi, most of the time she is so bloody good. I ask very little of the dogs on walks. They have so much freedom, but they need to leave sheep alone, come when called and wait when told too. Mostly she does it, so why when there is real need for her to return, why does she the consider her options? Is it a reaction to my voice? Obviously I sound differently when I'm concerned with the situation, does that concern her? It's the only answer I have.
Of all the dogs here Jezi is the one I trust the least with other dogs, I do think the situation of her youth has not helped and I always try and be one step ahead of her. She should theoretically have never stayed, it was Danni and Ziva that we had plans to keep but we trusted Danni more and she was safer to rehome. The whole object of keeping Jezi was to keep her safe, I feared that in the wrong home she could have got herself in serious trouble. She'll be 9 in the Summer and between us and Nico so far we haven't done a bad job of looking after her ... I just wish she would always come when she's called like he does .. it's not much to ask is it!