Wednesday 9 March 2016

Ears Today

I seem to be spending a lot of time at the vets these days. Finlay has an appointment to see Jill tomorrow and I was lucky to get Nico in to see Rachel today.
Every morning I worry is going to be Finlay's last. He won't get up, and when I do manage to get him out of bed he's so lethargic it's sad to see. I feel I need to get him up and out as he must surely need a wee, but he has no energy, no spark, just a blank exhausted expression. But then, by a about mid morning to lunch time he seems to come round. He eats his breakfast around 11 ish and though he's obviously not dancing on the tables the lights are back on!
Nico has been scratching at his ears and face for a few days. The hair so now coming off around the rim of his ears (On both sides)  he has an eczema type rash a little bit more wide spread on the inside of his ears, and today a patch by one eye. We have noticed that Nico does not like the heat in the living room and Rachel suggested that a small dermatological problem is being aggravated by the heat. His ear canals are spot less and she could find no other reason for this flare up! ( I did tell her about his habit of putting his whole face in ditches - but she thought the heat was a more likely cause)
Danko In A Ditch!
Anyway I was given the option of a steroid spray, cream or tablets. As he has a stud book in about 10 days I opted for the spray, if it does not clear with that then after the mating she will give him oral steroids.
Whilst we were there I popped Nico on the scales. Must admit I can't remember when he was last weighed .. but I think he was about 37kg -  OMG he's now 41kg! I suppose some of it is maturity, but without doubt some of it is less exercise than normal! Must get Mikey weighed sometime soon to see which of the fatties is the fattest! I know Loki is about the same wight, but he really is a much bigger dog, I wonder what he'll weigh as a mature adult?