Thursday 10 March 2016

A First For A Blanik

This is Caleb - Sammi's brother. He is now competing in "Canicross." We've had Blaniks in the show ring, doing Obedience and Agility, as well as a bit of working trials ... but Caleb is the first to do canicross. As this is a new sport of recent years I've googled the correct description ....
"Canicross is the sport of running off-road with your dog. The human participant wears a waistbelt which attaches via a 2-metre bungee line to a padded dog harness. It is a fantastic way to keep you and your dog fit whilst enjoying the great outdoors together. It provides a physical workout for your dog and the use of directional commands will help him to learn to use his brain and build up his confidence."
Linda and I did see a display of it at a companion show a couple of years ago but that was around a large field. The sport obviously being taken to another level as Arthur and Caleb run up mountains! (and what goes up - must come down!!!)
Here's quotes from him .. he does make me smile!
" He's so strong Rhian, he helped me get about the 8 minute mile up Moel y Ci. And i shat me self literally on the way down....."
Well let's be fair I would shit myself too if I was being pulled down a mountain by a 40kg GSD attached to a bungee line, must take some trust and some control!