Sunday 21 January 2024

Manchester News

 It started with snow, not a lot of snow but a fresh coating each morning followed by some freezing rain and some ice! Now everyone knows even at this age I love snow, and when this howling gale is the alternative, well what is there to moan about? I guess the fact I can get stuck on the mountain when there is a life-changing event going on elsewhere is my only quibble ... haha!!! So common sense hat on and we travelled to Swinton the evening before the show, but even then Ian's van was unable to come up the track and we had to carry the stuff down and walk the troops, of course they were delighted .... holibobs.
When we arrived Beti started to bark, and bark, and bark and she continued to bark until we had managed to get the stuff and her out of the van. She ran into the house and saw Linda, then she started to bounce around like and idiot, no nervousness, just excitement. Kiaan then came in with Ian and was equally happy to be on his holibobs! A crate was set up for Kiaan in Ian's bedroom and a crate was set up for Beti in the kitchen with Orin and Siska, who are now experienced holibobers, spending their night between the kitchen and the living room where I slept on the sofa. By the way ... Siska snores!!! Huge thanks to Frank and Linda for having Ian, Myself and four dogs in their home overnight, it would have been so difficult without you.
Friday morning with everyone up and about we didn't have to rush off like we would at home. Linda made butties with help from Orin and Siska, Ian loaded the van and I supervised! lol We hit the road about 7.20am and had a reasonably uneventful journey to the frozen show ground. The stuff was unloaded and the dogs made their way in 2 at a time. Everyone was excellent, Beti was really happy and excited, Kiaan relaxed and calm. The adults take it all in their stride and there wasn't a cross word from anyone, all day! 
Kiaan was in first and gave a super performance in the ring, who could ask more of a puppy eh? Callan and Kai were in PGD and I kind of expected them to be first and second. Kai was first ... with Callan third. A disappointing result for Callan really. It was a similar fate for Orin, whilst I'm not expecting my dogs to always win I kind of have an idea of where they should be, I expected him to be in the top three, he was fourth. Hmm .. I wonder why? One comment from me here was that all three in front of Orin towered over him, and he is 66cms .. so Orin is oversize, I wonder how tall the others are?
It was then time for the girls to go in, with the judge being rough on the mouth Sarah beat him to it and showed him Beti's teeth herself .. it went well, she stood beautifully and moved well. My initial thought had been, please let her be settled, now the thought changed to, please let her not be last! She wasn't, and I was over the moon, as much by her performance as her prize card .. well done Beti. 
Siska was 2nd in limit, limit is the closest class to Open, which is the top class. 10 years ago getting a second in limit would have been a dream, but these days, with this show team, we hope for greater things, especially when Siska puts on such a performance. So is it wrong that I'm disappointed with a second in limit at a championship show? Maybe I should be more grateful? I hope I see my dogs without rose-tinted glasses, shall we say I felt her main competition in this class was behind her, not in front her. Still we pay our money and take the chance ... over the years I have exhibited under this judge three times before ... and yes with my girls I would again, but not with Orin. Some judges are not worth a second go, some are, and on results of previous judging appointments this man is without doubt someone I would support again.