Sunday 8 October 2023

Our Regional Misadventure

We were up at 5.45am and on the road by 6.15am. Our destination was Ellistown to watch a GSD Regional Event. (Basically a show run by and for GSD enthusiasts, without the enforcements of K.C Rules) Orin and Beti joined Ian's Kiaan for the 3 and a half hour journey. On route, we discussed everything from the green-eyed monster to XL Bullies and husbands past and present. Google maps took over from the sat nav to get us onto the M1 and Ian observed his van didn't "quite feel right." Having had a new gear box and clutch just 4 weeks ago I remember thinking, I'm sure it's Ok!! We came off the M1 and up onto the roundabout and were making our way towards our exit when the traffic stopped at the lights on the roundabout, that's where it started to go badly wrong and the clutch seized. Hazard lights on and quickly one man came to help, many others passed and many hooting abusively. What did they think we were doing having a chat and a picnic? The van was pushed off the slip road and managed to limp into the closest services, well at least we'd have something to eat, drink and a toilet on hand eh! Wrong! The first photo is of the deserted Makefield services, where we were set to spend our day!
Thankfully, there was plenty of room to stretch our legs and walk the dogs, it was reasonably safe with some passing traffic, I guess the biggest problem was the glass. Having called out the RAC we sat and waited. It wasn't too long before the first RAC van arrived, he gave the van a good look over, yes it was knackered. There were many discussions about the best way to get us home, with one thing being our priority, our dogs! I would have walked to the nearest Travelodge and stayed over rather than put them at any risk. 
The stress of the morning turned into hilarity as we all dealt with the situation, you laugh or cry and we laughed and ate cake and chocolate ... well it was all we had! Sometime during our stranded hours whilst standing out talking I felt a sharp pain as something hit me in the back, I screamed out loud. I think the shock was as bad as the pain. OMG, I'd been shot by a pellet from the paintball across the road, I screamed such profanities at them that my mother would be ashamed of me, but bloody hell eh! Surely that shouldn't happen? It didn't burst, but I have kept the bullet with my name on it! (you can see the distance from the van to the Paintball park)
At 2.45pm the relay vehicle arrived, he was a nice guy, but I got terribly confused when he told us that we were heading to a services south of Birmingham, I tried to envisage the map in my head, yeah that was the wrong way, so I questioned it. Anyway it was what it was and in a services south of Birmingham we at least got to walk the dogs and get something to eat before a second vehicle took us home via the M42, M5, M6, M54, A5 and A55. 
Hell it could have been a lot worse, no one was hurt and we at least found a safe place to move about. The three dogs were marvellous, with the puppies taking it all in their stride. I'd have hated every moment had I been alone, but company always helps. We saw the best in people and also the worst, kindness and selfishness. It was 9.30pm when I got home, a day to remember, but maybe not for the right reasons!