Saturday 28 May 2022

More Changes

I always like to have a dog in the bedroom at night. Of course it was initially Blade, then whilst I lived on my own they were all there. LOL  Blade and Nikki stayed sleeping in the bedroom after Steve and I got together, and after they passed it was Dexi and Seffe. Rescue dog Finlay joined us just after they died and immediately moved into the bedroom,  though I tried Loki after Finlay died I just couldn't cope with his panting. Loki has always been a heavy breather, but Nico was not. Nico slept with us every night since Finlay died in Sept 2016. The thought of that emptiness in the bedroom was just too much, I've no idea how people can do it, be without a dog, I couldn't even sleep a single night in that room without a dog there, and the obvious choice was Zeus.
Steve agreed with my plan and I popped Zeus his vet bed and his carrot in the bedroom before going to the bathroom. I checked on him and he was standing about wondering what was happening, I carried on getting everyone else to bed and then joined Zeus and Steve in the bedroom. Now there is one rule - no going on the bed. Nico was allowed, but only till we got in it then he was off. So when I got in the bedroom and saw Zeus large as life lying on the bed I moaned at Steve, how is Zeus going to follow the rules if you are already letting him break them? To be fair contradiction can only be confusing to him. Anyway, after using the bed like a trampoline, Zeus got off. We both got into the bed and I felt two front paws coming up onto the bed - "Zeus off! - Good lad." He tried once more and also was unsure of Steve regular toilet visits, "Are we getting up now?  Shall I get my ball?" To be fair the boy did well, hopefully he'll settle into the routine. 
Jezi and Loki are doing well at spending time together, but there is absolutely no interaction between them. That's fine, I don't expect her to accept a new friend after almost 10 years of devotion to her one and only, but I really don't want her to be totally alone either. I've no idea how long we will have Jezi for, the prognosis from the vet was only a few months and I want her to be happy, relaxed and comfortable for that time. Though it will never be easy, I've had time to prepare myself for her loss, but the shock this week has shattered our world. Without her "happy pills" I think Jezi's discomfort would be increasing. Last night as she got up quickly she screamed in pain, my heart went out to her, but it was soon forgotten as she went out to shout at the cattle who have again broken our fence posts and bent the wire. I wonder if we can get electric fencing? Or would that be a problem for the cats and the fox? I'm never blessed to see the fox, but I know he/she is often about. 
I'm going to the show tomorrow, I know people will want to be nice, it would be easier for me not to talk about things ... ah well big girl pants on!