Wednesday 27 April 2022

Hips

 Like I had for Orin I opted to send Siska's plates to the ANKC. She was X-rayed yesterday lunchtime and the results came in to my laptop overnight. With a wait of 6 weeks for their results the BVA are really getting it very wrong. The cost is not a factor either, with the ANKC being £30 cheaper than the BVA. 
I took a photograph of the hip plates and even I could see a difference in both hips. I observed that the right hip looked as good as Orin's and Rhys at the vets put Orin's plates up for me to compare. Yes to a lay person with moderate experience Siska's right hip was as good as O's. The left hip on the other hand doesn't look as perfect, the ball is not tight in the socket, even I know that the subluxation affects the norberg angle, so I expected points on those two categories. Steve pointed out that he didn't think the edge of the socket was as perfect on the left hip either - Ok, I see that so yeah the possibility of point there too. Well we were both right with the scores being on the Norberge angle, subluxation, cranial acetabular edge (the edge of the socket) and one point on the rim of the socket (Cranial effect acetabular rim). 
Yesterday evening I compared Siska's plates to the others, concentrating on the left hip only. I still felt her right hip was equal to Orin's so gave it little thought. I compare the left hip to Sammi's score of 7 and Jezi's of 12 - without doubt Siska's hip was better than Jezi's, and that gave me great comfort.(Even though Jezi's score is still acceptable for breeding) Actually, I said to Sharon that I hoped for a score at the lowest of 2/5 and up to maybe 4/7 ish and I think I did quite well when the score is 2/8. I really am thrilled, and I now hope to continue my line through Siska next year. 
Interesting article which I'd like to save for my own future reference

What am I talking about? These may help.