Friday 27 August 2021

Driffield Day

 This time yesterday morning we were on route to Driffied show, we should have got there at 8.57am but due to someone deciding to kill themselves by jumping off a bridge onto the M62 .. well we were kind of late! I've no idea of that outcome and will refrain from giving my opinion here. My Sat Nav had no intention of taking us off the M62, but the phone had better ideas. It took us off on junction 21 and somewhere onto Halifax road, I've no idea where we went but we saw, lakes, hills, heather, moors and wonderful scenery, What felt like a life time later we got back onto the M62 at Junction 25. Well done google maps!
Now when I say I went to Driffield, remember I went to Driffield show not to Driffield! Driffield show was in Wetherby, like Manchester show and Birmingham National are at Stafford show ground. We need huge venues for these shows and I think for the benefit of travelling they do try and have them a little more central. My next show is Darlington Ch Show ... but guess what? I'm not going to Darlington! 
We had travelled from sunny Fron to misty Caernarfon and travelled through thick pockets of mist along the A55, but eventually it mainly sunny or overcast. It was a hell of a shock to get out of the van and be greeted by such a cold wind. Honestly, people were buying dog blankets and walking around wrapped up in them, thankfully I always have coats in the van.
Yesterday was a Championship show, but one that for German Shepherds where no Challenge Certificates were on offer. There are only a certain amount of sets of CC's per breed per year so some shows have to run classes without them. The classes are still Crufts qualifiers, but the wins are not as sought after as the shows with CC's. Still in it to win it and after handling Lucca for Sharon, Orin was first of my two in the ring. My handler was a young lady who is reasonably new to the breed and she did a great job steering a head strong mummy's boy to win his class. I could see her struggling at times, but hats off to her she never gave up. As she had won two classes I offered to take Orin in the challenge myself, I knew he would never win, he's too young to be considered for top honours. With no open shows this is the first time I've taken him in myself ... how odd! 
Sadly there was no break between the dog judging and the Minor Puppy Bitch class. I could tell from the moment that someone little went into the ring that she had it on her. With hindsight, I should have taken her in myself, but it was too late by the time I considered it. Though she stood well, she was a little cow for Tara on the move. I've no idea why Siska shows so well some days and other times her behaviour is awful. Well when I say awful, it's the pulling inwards and scrabbling, she not barking, howling or having a go. It's annoying as she knows  what she's supposed to be doing, she does it perfectly at Ring Craft, so why does she let herself down like this? The judge put her last and after the judging called me over and asked why I had not exhibited my puppy? I said that I had and that she was last, she said "OH she looked unsound on the back end." Well pulling sideways and scrabbling, yes she must have done .. but she isn't! I must admit I was upset, tearful really, she's a cracking little bitch and does not deserve to be at the back of the queue ... but unless we can get her to show herself off then the back is where she'll be. I know she's just a baby, but so are the others in her class. Gutted!
The journey home was better, though the M1 and M6 were busy. It would have taken us 3 hrs 15 .. but it took 30 mins to get through Caernarfon ... Anyway as we come towards "That weekend" it's my longest driving session yet, and it feels good to be able to do it!