Saturday 14 November 2020

Vaccinations

The question of the week has to be, will you have the Covid 19 Vacs? I will. By the time I get it I'll see whether it's had any side effects on Steve ...lol 

Sometimes I seriously get my knickers in knot on these dog pages on Facebook. People are asking for advice, they are given the best advice from experienced breeders, but then they take no notice and do their own thing, often to the detriment of the dog. 
People are still over vaccinating their dogs. You may recall I even broke onto the Nobivac website earlier in the year to get proof that all these vaccinations are not necessary. When I say I broke in, it asked if I was a veterinary professional before letting me in, I lied! Well what's the worst that could happen? My laptop didn't explode and I haven't been arrested!!  I found the page I was looking for and made a screenshot of it. It can't be any clearer, one vaccination over 10 weeks is all that is required and Nobivac recommend vets booster the dogs in three years. To be honest I don't do that booster either, but that is my choice. So why, WHY are people still taking their dogs for yearly boosters and why are vets still promoting these vaccinations? I understand maybe Jo Bloggs and his mate wouldn't know, but vets do, so why pump chemicals into the dogs when it's not needed or necessary? Particularly with L4 the risks are greater than the benefits. One of the replies was that boarding kennels require an up-to-date vaccination certificate, fair enough .. up-to-date with a three year booster as recommended by the manufacturers. Alternatively, don't put your dogs in kennels and bring it with you to Snowdonia for a holiday! You made a life choice to get a dog, so live with it. 
When I informed my vet that I was not vaccinating the last litter before selling them they did initially seem taken aback, but when I took Orin for his one and only vaccination at 11 weeks old the vet reminded me that he didn't need a second vacs or a booster for three years. I feel that they knew I had done my homework, such a shame they vaccinated one of the sisters the day after she left and three weeks later, and that they did not inform the owner that she didn't need to go back for three years! Hmm to be fair they saw a different vet, but the same practice should be giving out the same information. Rant over, Nos da