Thursday 20 February 2020

The Male And Sammi (Of Course)

Fransisco Di Casa Gregori as I'm sure you've guessed is a dog imported from Italy and now lives near Nantwich in the Rafaye kennel. Known around the show circuit by his pet name "Sisco" he has created quite a reputation for himself and he has successful progeny In Italy as well as in this country.
Sisco is a dog I looked at for Sammi last time, and also considered for Kaiah, but my plans for Kaiah still remain the same.  Sisco took my breath away when he won his class at Crufts last year, I said then and maintain now that he really should have been Best Of Breed that day. He was V1 British Adult Sieger in 2016 and he made breed history in the UK in 2019 by siring both male and female British Adult Siegers - Xibor Chase and Natalie di Casa Gregori. Sisco was the Arden Grange/Our Dogs Top Producing UK Sire of 2018. (Based on progeny success not the amount of progeny)
The dog has a calm self assured disposition. Even Sammi found herself flirting with him, and she really only generally flirts with Sully Sarah's dog and her long standing boyfriend Rio the Border Collie. (who plays hard to get!) Sisco is not an overly tall dog, he's bang on height at 65cms, a better size than my two youngsters who are over height. Joe's only negative remark about Sammi was that she was tall ... hell I know and though Nico her dad is not tall himself he does seem to produce larger offspring than himself. Of course we know there is a tendency for height behind him .. Kai was his mother's brother and he was 69cms at the wither!
Sisco has harmonious unexaggerated proportions, dark eyes and a kind expression. Though he has a mask my personal preference is for a very darker head .. his colour is second to none with only a small white patch which is acceptable and really barely noticeable when you see the dog.  He does carry the L/C gene ... but I don't know if Sammi does. She didn't produce any to Merlot who also carries the gene but I guess 3 puppies would not really given us an accurate idea as only 25% of a litter from standard coated parents carrying the gene will be long coated. (though 50% will carry the gene leaving 25% only carrying the S/c gene) It is quite possible that as Sammi was one of 6 with two sibling L/C's that she does not carry the L/C gene .. but without testing her like I did with Kaiah, who knows? .. and actually at this moment in time who cares?
I've booked Sammi in for a second "normal time" scan next week. No I'm not saying when but I've just looked and it forecasts snow so I may have to change it!  I'm not being secretive just protecting myself. This time I'm going back to the Pitter Patter Pet Pregnancy Scanning, after the bleeding I did feel it was better to go to the vets yesterday but at £48 I won't go back unless there is a problem! It will be easier to see the brood after 35 days and maybe get more of an idea how many are there. I've no memory, certainly in recent years of a bitch showing abdominal enlargement so early in the pregnancy before, though my records confirm that Sammi did have other early signs last time too. Asha had 9 and didn't show till after day 34, Sammi has been showing since about day 30. The difference being of course that it was Asha's one and only litter .. I have to go back to Krizzie here for a bitch that has had two litters and of course I can't remember how early she did show on the second litter, I only remember the panic of the bleeding between 4.5 weeks and 7 weeks.  My gut is telling me there are more than 5 puppies here, though of course I would be delighted with 5. Having an idea if there is more can only help with appropriate feeding. With only 2 scanned and one hiding I was careful not to over feed Sammi last time but they still grew to be huge at birth. Seffe also had a smaller litter - 5 and needed a cesarean as in those day I had no idea how many were on the way and I fed her as I had done with Nikki. Just having an idea, less than 5, more than 5 will be useful. Sammi didn't have breakfast today - but had lunch! lol I will update this page regularly now .. too bloody often maybe? Lol But until hopefully our little family arrive safely I will refrain from posting on Social media, anyone who is really interested can catch up on here anyway can't they!