Thursday 27 February 2020

Bitch Bleeding During Pregnancy

As you all know now Sammi bled during her pregnancy. My initial reaction was complete panic, followed by many phone calls. The vet prescribed antibiotics and rest.
Now what is important to stress was that Sammi was not ill in anyway, her temperature was normal,  she's was eating and enjoying life normally. Sammi was fine. I, on the other hand was not. I so worried that something was going wrong with the pregnancy .. so worried that she was loosing the pups. I know that normal when pups are "miscarried" at this stage that they are reabsorbed into the body and you generally never know they were there, but that gave little comfort at the time. Implantation bleeding was mentioned, this was not familiar to me, but google says ... "Implantation bleeding is thought to happen when the fertilized egg attaches to the lining of the uterus." But according to Book Of The Bitch that happens at 20 - 21 days not 16 days, and that's a huge difference in a 9 week pregnancy.
I spent hours on google and couldn't find anything that would give me piece of mind, everything was so negative. But in the early hours of one morning I did find an article that gave me hope. Click on this link if you want to read about a similar experience to Sammi's ...
http://www.wylanbriar.com/breeding-advice/bleeding-during-pregnancy/?fbclid=IwAR31WjHBdYyDyXmCJPZEsgAuG0szWFxv_vO-magOEvJIhll7U5dDeL_nP1c
Then, thankfully a knowledge friend who'd had a similar experience herself put me in touch with others. Ok so it's not common, but these bitches too bled at 16 days and stopped at about the three week period. They all went on to have large litters ...
What I don't understand is that in these days of knowledge and shared experience, why is this not well documented? Why are there no answers? Why is there no pages of advice to easy the worried minds of hobby breeders? Why is there no generally course of action? Thankfully I had 3 ladies that I know from the breed who gave me time and shared their valuable experiences, but not even they could tell me why. One simply said, don't worry it happens as it can in pregnant women ... but I ask again Why? Oh hell I'm not expecting any of us to know but surely someone does and is it always associated with bitches carrying large litters?
Anyway if this post pop us for anyone who's in a similar situation and googling in the middle of the night and gives them a little piece of mind then I'm pleased to say that I've succeeded in my quest! Sammi is now over 5 weeks gone and we have had no further bleeding .... as well as the growing belly the scan show a large litter!